• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wicked

Worn Plate Diff?

wicked

How do I recognize worn plates in my KAAZ plate diff?

This winter I did put new gearbox oil in, but not yet the redline friction modifier that I had in last year.

This weekend I took it for a spin the first time this year, but the diff did not feel fine. It hardly unlocked with a cold engine. I cannot recall that it felt like that before....

Do I need to overhaul it? It has run maybe 5k miles from new...

The friction modifier will arrive end of this week, but doubt if it did make that much of a difference last year....

allanallen

How do you mean unlocked? Do you mean both wheels are locked together like the plates are all stick to each other? or it's working like an open diff because all the plates are worn out?

I guess the plates could stick together over a period of time, it's very common on motorbikes with similar style wet clutches to do this. A good thrash up the road usually has them free'd up though.

If you think they're worn the best bet is jack a wheel up and get the torque wrench on the hub nut, depending on how it's set you should have minimum of about 40ftlb.

wicked

It indeed feels like that the plates stick together and need some torque to snap loose. And that does not feel nice in the steering wheel.

I jacked it up and need some force to turn the wheel and the release feels a bit snappy.

Once the friction modifier is in I'll give it a good trash.... ;)

Edited by wicked

allanallen

How much preload should you have?

I reckon a good razz round would have it working better ;)

wicked

I have this one:

http://www.part-box.com/kaaz-lsd-for-peugeot-205-306-309-405-406-p-9687.html

Specifications:
  • Clutch Plate A: 4
  • Clutch Plate B: 4
  • Cone Springs : 2
  • Configuration: 1.5-way
  • Factory Torque: 4.0-5.0 (kg-m)
  • Ramp / Cam Angle: 50x25

I fitted it without mods, so should have that angle, but don't know how much preload that is.

Your comment that a worn plate diff behaves like an open diff eased my mind already :).....

welshpug

thats the torque, 29-36 lbft.

dcc

If its a twat to turn at slow speed, like parking, clunking and snatching the steering wheel, then it is fine :)

My diff took about 30ftlb when it was first mot'd after fitting, wbout 10k miles ago, be interesting to see how tight it is now actually.

wicked

It always has clucked and snatched and somehow I started to love it... :blush: Makes you feel alive, compared with my comfy 207/308.

Fact was only it increased after storage during winter en gear box oil exchange, which worried me.

I'll measure the preload on the axle when adding the friction additive and let you know.

boldy205

Ive got a Gripper diff, i do feel some days its 'tighter' than others when trying to turn with a lot of lock at low speeds. I do think things like that have good and bad days! However when its on the track it just makes me smile soooo much!!

Rippthrough

Do some figure of 8's on full lock, should free it up.

wicked

I did that on a parking lot and it was fine again....

Until yesterday; I got some wheelspin, while leaving tight roundabouts and it felt like it didn't lock at low speed/high torque.

At home I jacked it and think I feel less preload than I used to have. I didn't had a torque wrench at hand, so could not measure it.

Can I keep driving with worn plates for a while until I have time to get the diff out? Or will I damage the diff itself with that?

How long should plates of a diff last? Mine has done 6k now.. :blush:

Edited by wicked

allanallen

IMO it will be fine if it's a bit worn. Road use I'd expect lots more than 6k

wicked

Me too...

Note that it is 6k toy time; mostly winding/mountain roads, with appropriate throttle and boost.

Rippthrough

How much preload did you have it built with?

wicked

Didn't measure it by then...

I bought it on this forum from stopped project, assuming it to have the standard setup:

• Ramp / Cam Angle: 50x25

I will measure the preload and take it for another spin this week, see how it behaves after being cooled down.

Rippthrough

Hmm, with preload that low initially it might back off fairly easy after a little wear, see what it's like.

What oil did you use when you replaced it?

wicked

Kroon rpc 75w80 with Redline friction modifier.

Didn't measure the preload, but by turning a wheel while jacked up at one side, I concluded it was far less than it used to be and ordered an overhaul set/new plates.

wicked

On the expected lifetime of a set of plates, the salesman could not give a real indication. "If you drive like an idiot and go full throttle every corner with a turbocharged engine, you wont make 5k out of set..."