• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
erbs

Hesitant And Sluggish

erbs

My car has just started doing this

When the pedal is pushed down to pull away it is really sluggish and lacks power and kangaroos and when I put my foot down it clears but it's become undriveable

First places to look?

welshpug

afm & throttle body setup, also ignition timing.

Alan77

Worn dizzy cap or rotor arm? Old leads arcing?...

erbs

its all going for a refurb just wanted some advice so i was not wasting my money if no difference, thanks guys

Alan77

My advice would be to spend less than £20 on a cap and arm for your dizzy, just to check and rule it out, before sending it away for a £150 rebuild...

erbs

dizzy and leads and plugs and cap are all brand new

Edited by erbs

Alan77

Ok. The only other thing I can think of (apart from afm mentioned by wp) is head gasket. I had a head gasket go years ago and water was obviously getting across the gasket into the cylinders, causing all sorts of spluttering as it was trying to burn off moisture during firing.

If your HG is also newly done, then I'm out of ideas...

GLPoomobile

Also the ECU temp sensor, which could be causing overfueling.

erbs

engine rebuilt not long ago by me and brand new head gasket and ecu temp sensor is a brand new bosch one

the engine revs freely fron standstill, its just when its under load it hesitates

Edited by erbs

j_turnell

Have you taken the plugs out to see what they look like? Do you have a spare coil to try?

erbs

will have a look at the weekend when i get 5 mins

erbs

Very strange issue, the car revs when blipping the throttle but when i put my foot down it hesitates but does eventually get past this but of course making it impossible to drive.

Here is the video of it,forget about the tappety noise i got to fix this,i checked the plugs and they look fine as ihave recently put in a new fuel pump as it was running lean and hard to start

Keep an eye on my hand at the throttle body as it does this when i fully open it up or when driving it kangaroos down the road

http://vid253.photobucket.com/albums/hh49/ERBSS/IMG_1138_zps0jms5zvx.mp4

steve@cornwall

Above symptoms and a temporary noise would point me toward valve timing

parv121

Hi Jamie,

Now, I'm not one of the experienced very helpful gurus on this forum but I did once have the exact same problem as you describe and it ended up being my fuel pump. They can still work even though not at 100 %. When I was asking the car for more fuel ie: foot to the floor or , going up hill it done what you describe. Under load or full throttle.

Don't rule it out.

Especially if it was all running well and the suddenly start playing up on day. , fuel pump could be

erbs

just replaced the fuel pump with a bosch pump, was fine when fitted, i am going to check it again to make sure if anything has changed

parv121

Sorry Jamie , just watched ur video. Mine was not doing what urs is doing and didn't sound like that. When reving .

parv121

How much was pump, was it new, where did u get from, just for future

erbs

160 quid and was from mister auto

Bobbafett

Ignition amplifier? I had some cutting out under high load with a Bosch one. I fitted a pattern one as a replacement and the car ran like absolute s*it. Symptoms were very similar. Fitted a new (used, known good) Bosch blue one and problem solved.

Ozymandis

"hesitant and sluggish" must have this f***ing flu too, does it cough and whine as well?

erbs

Thanks for your replys guys, I must have a unique issue here that no one has ever seen before so I guess it's testing the components time

Bobbafett

If you can get a known good Bosch ignition amp then I would honestly start there. Put an ad up in Wanted and you'll get one quick sharp.

If you get stuck I do have a known good one but it's my spare so i'd need it back afterwards.

tartanbloke

Have you checked the distributor

kyepan

Looking at the video, is the throttle position static when it's revving in that oscillating fashion?

So you open it gradually until it oscillates up and down then hold it at the point when it is misbehaving. ?

My first guess would be that the afm flap is fluttering , have you refitted it recently and if so did you pay attention to the orientation as the flap has enough weight to do odd things if it's angled incorrectly. Odd things being like that suspension bridge that hit a harmonic and would twist.. When the wind was at a specific speed.

One way to check would be to disconnect the air intake up to the afm, then look down it as you reproduce the issue, if the flap is fluttering, or more likely if it doesn't do it.. Problem solved.

Reason why I think afm might be worth looking at is past 5000 the afm maxes out and that's why it runs clean t the top end...

erbs

Yes I am going to have a look at the AFM, I changed the ignition amp on Sunday for a known good one and little difference so the AFM will be next on the culprit list