• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jonb_5

Engine Components

jonb_5

Hi,

I have got the cams and crank locked in place and am trying to fit the belt.

I have the standard XU5 tensioner in place with the XU7JP4 water water pump, but it seems I need a second guide which isn't normally on the XU5 block. There is a tapped hole which is an M6 and the guide I have is an M8 thread so no issue, I can drill and tap this out.

However even with this in place the cam belt I have bought is still too long, I am assuming I am ok just to go to a shorter length belt or does anyone have any more info?

Thanks

Jon

Edited by jonb_5

welshpug

https://flic.kr/p/G1WARQ

use the xu7 tensioners if you're using an xu7/10j4rs 136t belt, not sure if theres material there for you to tap to M10 for the front idler in that specific location.

the tensioner sits on an m8 thread as you say, is it an eccentric type you have?

i don't recall exactly where the xu9j4 front tensioner sits, lower and more central iirc, and they use a 134t belt

Edited by welshpug

jonb_5

Hi

This is where I have got to at the minute. The idler on the lower right I've used a smaller bolt but will sleeve it to get it to fit properly so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have an XU7 tensioner which like you say is an eccentric one but there's nowhere obvious to bolt it around the area of the standard one..

The belt I have says 136, having measured it this refers to the length in mm, I've used some string to measure the setup as it is in the picture and it's closer to 123mm.

Thanks

Jon

20160507_175122_zpszvnuyxh6.jpg

welshpug

take the sliding tensioner off and use the eccentric, it sits further towards the front of the block.

136 is the number of teeth, much longer than 136mm!

petert

If that's an early XU5/XU9 block you're probably euchred. I don't think they have a mounting boss/thread for the later eccentric tensioner. You can't use that one, as it's too narrow for the wider 16V belt. If you're handy however, you could possibly graft a 16V tensioner onto the plate.

jonb_5

Well that makes sense, as I was struggling to see where to bolt it.

In terms of the position of the eccentric tensioner I don't suppose you would have any pictures on the rough position, or any measurements?

I don't think it should be too much of an issue to make a plate up to carry it.

Thanks

Jon

• Like 1

jonb_5

Got a bracket cut at work and mounted the eccentric tensioner on and seems to work well. I will get tensiones up once bolted on.

Is there any specific method to this?

Does anyone know what thread the 2 studs are in the right hand side of the bracket? They measure approx 6.9mm so maybe a slightly worn M7, just so i can get a couple of cap screws to replace.

20160511_164941_zpswny5po7h.jpg

Thanks

Jon

pug_ham

Does anyone know what thread the 2 studs are in the right hand side of the bracket? They measure approx 6.9mm so maybe a slightly worn M7, just so i can get a couple of cap screws to replace.

According to service box they are M7x1.

Good idea on the eccentric tensioner mounting.

g