• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lloydie123

205 Gti Ew10J4 190Hp 170Lbft Torque - On Going Project

lloydie123

Hi all,

Thank you for letting me join the forum!

I wanted to give you all a look at my ongoing project that I have and am still tweaking. The 205 is owned by my dad and he has been a 205 person for years, and used to rally one back in the day. A few years ( I think 7/8 yrs now) ago (I was 15 at the time) I brought a 205 1.6 GTI ( g reg 1989) for £50, and refit an old rally spec 1.9 xu engine my dad had kicking around. So it ran twin 40's, magnet exhaust system, piper cam and was generally ok, made all the right noises. And it pretty much stayed like that for a while.

2 years ago we got a new unit (my dad runs a garage so I've grown up with spanners) so the 205 could sit inside, and I started planning.

The suspension was tired at the rear but front was ok, avo coilovers, rose jointed arms, eccentric top mounts and a tranx lsd. So I stripped all the suspension off and gave it the following:

Brand new 309 rear beam

23 mm torsion bars

Zx rear arms

25mm anti roll bar rear

Solid mounts

Rear disc conversion including brand new hubs, discs, calipers, wheel bearing, hand brake cables (the lot!)

Polybush front arms

Vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts

Baker BM fork bush

Baker BM stainless coolant pipe

New dipstick

Cam belt, service, carb setup, all fluids,

Ebc yellow stuff pads

Ebc grooved drilled discs

Satchshift

So yeah I was busy lol!

After this the car was setup and drove really well, however the engine suddenly showed its age and it started breathing heavy and throwing oil out.

So I madee the decision to cull the xu. I wanted something for my dad that was turn key reliable, he could just get in and trackday without having to adjust carbs or worry about the engine.

So.... I went EW.

Bought a 2000 140,000 miles GTI and set to work. This was going to be a trial so to speak so I didn new cambelt, gaskets and anything that needed doing, but internally engine was the same.

I then ordered cat cams, jenvey sf race 48"s with straight inket and a emerald k6, as go faster bits. 440cc injectors supply the go go juice

I then also needed:

Custom exhaust ( had stainless 4 branch made as 206 doesn't fit)

New rad

Hoses set

Satchel engine mount

Getting 205 garage to correctly work - lots of trial and error here with lots of sensors!

Custom clutch cable

Convert gearbox to cable and swap be3 internals into be4

Adjust alternator pas pump bracket no pas - it's for girls lol

And so many little bits I can't even think off.

I also had a race look made for the whole car so it's future proofed.

A lot of people asked why EW? It's plentiful in supply, it's light, and for example

Pug1off gti6 makes 237hp and 175lbft, mine makes 190hp and 170lbft.

And it's been done on a budget. Personally i think EW is the way forward but I would like to say pug1off were very helpful in supplying of the parts, and there 306 GTI engine work is very impressive in their own right.

Ours is a stripped out track car, so performance has been the only objective, but a more basic sedate spec could go in a road car.

I now need to tweak the handling as it was very tricky in the wet when tested at sneterton last week....

But it still showed up a lot of modern hatches :)

Will get pictures up Asaph

Lloyd

JamPug

Exciting stuff, cant wait to see pictures. :D

RossD

Pics would be great, as above. I'm currently doing a similar conversion (Well its on hold at the moment as its cold in the garage! ;)) so would be good to hear about the challenges that you had to overcome, particularly around bottom engine mount and exhaust manifold. Also did the master cylinder and servo get in the way at all?

Alan_M

Very interested to know what you've done to the engine. Currently in a dilemma between an alloy Mi16 screamer or go EW, I've got a low mile 138bhp EW in the garage.