• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

steve@cornwall

How Long Have You Owned Your 205?

pug_ham

I've had my first 205 GTI since 1993 & added several more to the fleet since then.

I've got two that have only about a month between their first registered dates, same colour (both alpine white) both 1.6's, only difference except registration letter, is that the E reg is fully specced with electric windows, central locking & factory sliding vacuum sunroof (all option boxes ticked? ) & the F reg has keep fit windows & is non sunroof but I think it has central locking. :unsure:

g

allye

I've actually had my van 2 years, driven it around the yard, did a hand brake turn and stripped it!

Almost had a 205 non stop since I was 17, 7 years ago. Jeez I'm getting old.

Anthony

I've owned at least one 205 GTi continuously since 2003 - nearly 13 years. Not quite as long as some, but still... where does time go?

Of the current fleet of 205's... the Black '92 I've had almost 5 years, the Topaz '90 I've had 18 months, and the Red '91 I've had 4 months.

bondo

The 1.6 gti owned by my wife was bought new in Nov 1990 (as a replacement for one she rolled - also new) and it is still going 80k miles and 25 years later. Cost about £11k at the time but she did have pas as an option.

SimonJ

Bought mine in 1992. Been a road car, towed my Samba rally car (wonder was that legal?!), chase car on those rallies, road rally car 1999-2002 and purely for hills since then. All same panels - musn't be trying hard enough.

brian j

I have had 205s pretty much continuously since 1998, apart from a very brief period with 'only' a 306. The current one was bought in 2007.

My 306 broke down and needed a huge amount of work, so, knowing I needed to fix it, I did the sensible thing and bought 2 205s as well. One was a scrappy base model diesel with no 3rd gear but MOT and Tax for £120 including a half tank of fuel. The other was my steel grey GTI. I thought it was a well-sorted, near mint car. An engine, a gearbox, a beam, new front suspension and a full respray and it very nearly is now!

205Rallee

Owned my Euro Rallye since May 1991 and my1.9 GTI has been mine and my dads since December 1987.

gwyn_mi16

Bought my first 205 GTI aged 18 in 2001 and been hooked ever since. Was a cherry red 1.6. Rolled it in 2004 and was gutted. Damned LOOS. Ive had 205's continually since. A stripped/ caged alloy block mi16, a white 1.9 and Ive owned my current cherry 1.9 since Apr 2015. Will be keeping this one for sure. Fair play to those who have kept them from new - dedication!

Ludi

Mine is from 2007 , it's my first and only gti. :D

stufarri

Bought my GTI in 2006, CTI in 2009 and Goodwood in 2013.

Total cost for all 3........£2350, result!

Bogsye

My current car I bought at around 2009, so 7 years nearly.... Ran for about a year or two before the engine began to smoke.

Currently it's in bit, but hopefully I'll make some progress. My four year old likes it and my wife doubts it'll be ready for him learning to drive.

It'll be saving a bit of cash for the respray that'll be the next big expenditure along with brakes and wheel bearings.

Brian

tdr_1976

I've owned my XS since 2010, absolutely love it, and just completed a 15 month full rebuild and respray. My next project will be a 1.9 GTi :)

Fair do's to the people for owning one from new for all these years :)

Tom Fenton

I've had a 205 of some kind since I think 2003, and kind of closely related, a car of some kind with an XU9J4 unbroken since 2001.

One single 205 I've had the longest is my red GTI, 9 years in April. However the white track car was first bought between Phil and I in 2003, but is now on its third incarnation. My laser GTI 5 years in September and the Miami 2 years in March.

stanz

I've had mine since '97. Kind of wishing I hadn't modified it now!

lagonda

Bought my 1989 CTi in 2003, still my everyday car.

davey205

I saw my 1st 205 at Great Auntie's farm, a mechanic was renting a building there , I expressed an interest and bought it in 2006 - it was a complete dog but I had to have it knackered rear beam and later found out was 2 cars welded together when someone was following me and flashed for me to pull over and pointed out the serious crabbing - was a 91 laser H reg.

Bought current one in 2009 when Auntie's Son said a friend of his had 1 he might sell was on 69k and practically immaculate - had it ever since - also a laser on a H.

Edited by davey205

boldy205

I bought my XS In 2001, kept it until I found I could insure a 1.9 Gti, which was 2003, still havethe Gti now. So 13 years of ownership! I had my Gti before I had a wife and a house, I now have the house for sale, I'm no longer with my wife, but I still have my 205! Not sure what that's supposed to mean!

Telf

I've had my current one since 2013.

I had a 1.6 in 1994 when I was just 19, true boy racer style. It survived until 2001 when it got bent in half at a roundabout.

Bought a cheap 1.6 to replace and donated all the good bits from my wrecked one. Spent 2 months reconditioning the engine, ran for a week and had a head on smash completely destroying the car and my knee!

That was that until 2013 when I just had to have another!

This current one is now on 249,550 - its gotta be one of the highest mileage GTIs left - strange all the ones on Ebay are 60k......:D

B11 BOB

I have had my 205 since 1989.

Greeny

I was wondering which topic to drop into with my first post! Choose this 1. My first was a white 1.6 in 1995 H425 ANL then went to through a succession of porkers and others things from '97 only to come back in 2014 with a Mi16 sorrento green. (Done 22k in 2 years as a daily) Only the seats are starting to go now. Should never have left the fold but on the other hand how do you know it's as good as it is without comparison to others. Closest to it was a delta integrale Evo 2 but that was heavier yet more fragile. Glad to be back

Retro Pug

My first 205 was my grandfather's GR C676 GHB which he bought new and passed to me when I passed my test in 1998 and I regret selling it so much now!

I've had my GTI for 9 years now can't really see me ever selling it.

kenneth205xld

Purchased my 205 XLD new in May 1987 and still own it today.

Kettmark

Bought my 1.9 in August 1996 and still have it. 81k on the clock. Only use it & tax it for 6 months each summer. Had a red 1.6 for 6 years as a daily driver from 94 to 2000 and my first 1.6 when I was 19, back in 1991.

Ams

Coming up to three years now so my 205 looks set to be my longest owned project. I'm more than happy to keep working on it for a good while, it's a great little car.

iPlod999

4 and a half years.

Had a little wobble last weekend and thought about selling.

Silly me.