• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

steve@cornwall

How Long Have You Owned Your 205?

steve@cornwall

As a follow on from another topic I wondered how long members have owned their 205s ?

Would be interesting to know who ha had theirs the longest.

Also,how long have you had continuous 205 ownership? I.e. not just your present car(s)

I have had 205s since buying my first 1.6 gti in 1999

My present Gti was bought in 2003 when my first was written off

My cti was bought in sorry state in 2004 or 2005

I've lost count of the others I've owned either as donor cars or rescue missions!

Simes

Current one 6 years.

It's donor 10 for ten years before that.

Basically since 2000.

Miles will win.

Leon

I've always had at least one done about 2000 I think.

I bought my current one from Steve, which I think was in 2011?

pp205

Current one I've had since 2004.

Have had at least 1 gti since 1998 when I was 17

erbs

Current pug 2 years, never been on the road with it, should get it back in the next couple of weeks, it's Been in the body shop for new well deserved sills and some other rust repairs-then I'm going to a bit more tinkering and then get it on the road.......finally!

This one is a keeper as its early phase 1 1.6

jackherer

I've had my current one just over two years and I have a spare shell stashed away that I've had for 6 or 7 years. I've had at least one GTI continuously since '98 or '99. There are parts from my first one that are now fitted to my current one....

Clapton_Is_God

I'm hoping I might win this one :-)

I've owned my 205 (Peter) for 20 years. I bought him when I had just turned 19 and everyone told me I didn't have a hope in hell of insuring him, I've just turned 39.

I've had other (lesser) cars along the way but Peter has always stayed. I did try to sell him about 15 years ago and didn't get a single phone call.

I'm am only his third owner, that too I would imagine is unusual.

wicked

My current 205gti was my first car ever. Bought it in begin of 1998 and still own it. So 18 years upto now. I had others next to it, but sold those again.

barneys66

A rookie here at 18 months..! Wanted one since I was taken for a drive in my uncle's new 1.6 30 years ago but I guess that doesn't count..

welshpug

miles has had one or two since the 80's iirc, and Graham has had one from early 90's

ive had mine about ten years, maybe 11 now

Edited by welshpug

flipperthebushkangaroo

I've had mine since 1989 when i bought it new, got all sensible in 2003 when i sold it to get something with 5 proper seatbelts then my wife bought it back for me in 2005 (in a right state) its been off the road for about 3 or 4 years now and i really need to get off my A$$ and get it sorted. So, bought it 27 years ago but have only owned it for 25 and probably only had it on the road for closer to 20!

Roddie

stumpyjag

Bought my first 205 in 1992 sold her to buy my current Sorrento 1.9 in 1994, had her ever since.

ATK

2 years for my current one.

Had my first in 2009 -2010.

For those who have had the same car for 15 years + it would be interesting to know what major work was needed through that time aside from normal servicing etc!

Ryan

Just over 11 years. I bought it in Nov 2004, coincidentally 14 years to the day since it was originally registered.

Alan77

Owned mine since 2001, owner no.6, coming up to 200k.

m@ttc

Had a G reg xs in 1998 scraped in 2000

Current project brought in 2000

My inca diesel run around I've had since 2014

toolie72

Bought mine in '96-lowered it etc etc-now I'm an old fart I'm putting it slowly back to standard-wrong side of 40 so need less bone jarring

On the flip side I've still got cassettes to play in radio eg now2!!

tartanbloke

Bought mine in January 2011, which was my first and will keep it for as long as I can and pass it down to my wee boy when he is old enough to appreciate it.

TurboSam

Had mine for 9 years in March.

My brother has had his 205 XS for over 10 years; it was given to him when he was 14. The car has been in the family for about 20 years!

speno

I've still got my first Mini well what's left of it from 1990

( I know its not 205 but Ive had too many to mention since 1994 )

• Like 1

AlexRS2782

My current Miami Blue 1.9 is the only one I've owned. Purchased late 2008 and still going strong today :) Well apart from the paintwork that has finally lost its lacquer in a number of places, but everything else is fine :)

I nearly purchased a 205 GTI back in '99 but my head was turned by a Renault 5 GT Turbo for sale locally instead. Looking back I should have held out in my search for a decent 205 rather than buying the GTT as it wasn't the best car and required a hell of a lot over subsequent years to keep it on the road / running. That being said, I must have done a decent enough job with it as it's still on the road today with its current owner rather than scrapped / rusted away :)

Goliath

I'm a relative newbie, I bought my first 205 in 2007 I think (A low mileage, immaculate Steel Grey for £550) and I still regret selling it now. My current one (a high mileage, almost mint Steel Grey) has been in my possession for nearly 3 years but I have always had at least one 205 since 2007. In total I think I've had 12, but I'm not too sure.

Dizzee stuff

I have had mine about 6 years, enjoyed most of it.

Miles

Continuous is my CTi, Not 100% sure but had it before my mates son was born and he's 17 now :blink:, but had them on and off since 1988

acox99

Bought my first one in 2004, a white ph1.5 1.9 gti. It was an absolute dog. Had a bit of fun, I had many plans but eventually broke it and scrapped it. Moved away from 205's about bought a 306 gti-6, but wrote that off in 2009, and then bought my current ph2 laser green 1.6 in 2010 which I dont currently plan on selling.