• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Simes

Best Place For Timing Belt, Tensioners, Water Pump

Simes

You can see where this is going, It's 7 years and 8000 miles since I changed the cambelt.

Last time the engine was out...it was easy!

Anyway - where's the best place to get the belt (kit?), tensioners, waterpump etc - Pug?

Mi16.

Thanks

Simon

jackherer

Were the tensioners and pump replaced 8000 miles ago? If so you only need a belt really IMO, the tensioners and pump don't wear out unless you use them!

omega

what jackherer says makes sense but I would always change the water pump for piece of mind.

Tom Fenton

I'd agree with that, just check the pump for leaking and play, and the tensioner a for play or roughness. I'd only change them if necessary. The advantage of a third/forth/fifth car is that it doesn't really matter if you have to leave it in bits for a few days whilst you wait for parts.

• Like 1

Simes

Tensioners and pump not done since 2004 / est. 60,000 miles.

As that area is being tackled I might as well do all of it, although I'm not in a rush. The last pump went at 90,000 miles.

Where's the best place then?

Oh and Tom I'm supplying the parts, these days even if it is a supplementary vehicle having two under three's means very little spannering at the weekend.

I've been trying to do the valve shims on my Honda for 15 months!

boldy205

I'd just go for a gates belt from a local factor.

• Like 1

Miles

It's getting difficult to get them now, I got the last (Or so I was told) Dayco belts from GSF a while back, Pumps always use (To date) Motaquip as they have always been OE types but tensioner's it's who ever can get them

bondo

Got a Dayco cambelt kit with tensioner from ECP recently.

Simes

Thanks all,

Probably just get the belt as I currently average 700miles per year!

allye

For future reference I've had a bad expeierence with Dayco, piss poor machining of tensioners. For a GTI6 kit I was quoted over £110+VAT from the dealer. Go gates every time, I've fitted them to pretty much all my peugeots and just today my girlfriends A3.

I know stef on here loves a continental, I've used them once with good results.

Anthony

Dayco belt kits normally use INA tensioners from what I've seen and never had an issue with them... chances are the same tensioners are used in some other brand kits too.

Also, not sure if Mi's were the same but later XU engines had Dayco belts in the OE belt kits from dealers.

Personally I'd happily buy Dayco (indeed, bought two kits recently, one of which is an Mi16 one) but you're unlikely to go too far wrong with any of the big brands - Gates, Conti etc.

welshpug

you went to the wrong dealer Ali, £44+ VAT I got one for a few weeks back.

allye

I must of got shafted my GSF with that Dayco kit. I was of the same thought before, dayco are normally good.

Fussed Wadman Devizes, most unhelpful, boring guys behind the parts desk!

Simes

My Peugeot parts guy owns 2x 205GTI's - but unfortunately he cannot super discount me to the extend of £44!

Only to the tune of £81.79

He did give me the code for the kit though!

0831S4.

welshpug

that was for a 136t gti6, so still a fairly commonly fitted kit and stocked by trade club members, 80 iirc on servicebox.

j_turnell

Worth keeping an eye out on eBay for a genuine kit. I got my gti6 kit for £35, Dayco in a Pug box.