• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bangerman

Wayward Windscreen Wiper

bangerman

Hi.

I've just started using my 205 GTi as my daily driver to work and an annoying habit has become apparent. When I switch on the wipers all is well to begin with, then without warning the drivers side wiper (right hand side) just flops off the side of the windscreen and come to rest on the door mirror. Less than useful.

To rectify it I have to turn off the wipers, wind down the window, reach out and push it back into the 'parked' position. After this it works again for a few minutes and then we go through the same rigmarole again.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

Dave.

Tom Fenton

I would start by checking the nut that secures the arm to the spindle is tight. After that it could be wear to either the splines on the spindle or in the wiper arm.

bangerman

Ah, yes good idea. I'd already started thinking it would be the more complicated mechanism that transfers the movement from the motor. It always pay to start with the easy stuff first. I'll have a look!

bangerman

Hi Tom.

No joy. The wiper is solidly tight on the spindle I did think it was a problem a bit further back than that. I've never really investigated how wiper motors work but I think whatever it is that provides the drive to the wipers moves on further than it moves back each time, so the starting point for the next cycle is a bit further up the windscreen. Consequently the return point is higher up the windscreen and to the right until it goes right off the edge.

Would a whole replacement motor and linkage be the easiest option? Currently I can't drive it in the rain which severely limits the chances of driving it under the current weather conditions!

Cheers

Dave.

Anthony

If you look at the way that the wiper linkage works, I don't see how that could happen with a linkage or motor issue - least of all to just one of the wipers and not the other?

I'd remove the wiper arm from the spindle (13mm nut and wiggle) and check the spline is in good order on both the arm and spindle. If they're worn smooth then it'll likely slip even with the nut being tight.

welshpug

the left and right spindles have different length arms, they may have been fitted in the wrong positions.

bangerman

OK, thanks. I will have a look over the weekend but I really don't think it's the spindle connection.

The sweep is the same each stroke but it just progresses up the screen until it falls off. Also, when I return it manually to the parked position there is quite a bit of resistance. I'll investigate tomorrow and report back. :-)