• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kb_205

Gti6 Air Intake Options

kb_205

Hi chaps,

I have moved the battery to the boot so have a lot of room for some sort of closed box with direct feed,

What parts do I require and what in your opinion works well?

I don't mind losing a fog light for the feed,

Or fitting my morrettes possibly?

blandy

I ran a enclosed airbox with a 90 deg bend off the throttle bodie with the cold air feed in one of the fog holes. Just in the process of taking it off as changed to bodies.

With a 90 deg bend the airbox sits nicely in front of the gearbox

Edited by blandy

kb_205

Sounds good do you have any pics at all

Thanks

allye

This is how myself and a lot of other people did it, there is a lot of deabte whether cold air feeds do anything, few videos online of back to back rolling road tests with zero difference, I've personally never bothered with the faf of cold air intakes.

P1010213.jpg

9E157A68-3994-4AE7-BE4A-D61BD4DE4F62_zps

blandy

Sounds good do you have any pics at all

Thanks

Haven't really got any decent pics but this is it off the car

465B26B4-233D-464B-BDBE-1CF1FB53BC71_zps

As you can see the bracket around it can bolt to a unused hole on the inner leg in front of the gearbox and the cold air feed comes to the fog light hole just tucks away nicely. I did originally have a filter on the tb but swapped to this as on track after a few good laps I noticed a difference swapping to a cold feed

kb_205

Thanks guys, looks great,

Maybe I read into it too much ( having cold feed etc ) but I guess I just assumed it was the best solution,

I'll get around to piecing something together!

One question is what to do with the other small air intake did you join that to the elbow or put a separate small oil breather filter on?

Thanks

allye

as you say, join it into the air filter or fit a small filter straight into it.

Dizzee stuff

This is how my GTI 6 install is done, I still have the battery in the normal place.

0300014c_resized_zpsuezovlnx.jpg

kb_205

Thanks for the pics guys really appreciate them, I've now got something to work with ????

Cheers

johniban

I wouldn't go too low down with the air filter though.. you don't want to be sucking up water..

welshpug

thats no lower than a standard 306 filter, probably a foot off the ground at the least.

Anthony

When I had a '6 engine in my 205 briefly I did the filter similar to Dizzie Stuff above.

It worked and fitted fine, although I was never entirely happy with it and it's one of the things I would have done differently had I kept the conversion. Certainly considering the car did less than 2k miles and was mostly used in dry weather it was alarming how filthy the air filter was getting, suggesting that it was quite exposed to muck presumably from the nearside wheel, and it was sat in close enough proximity to the radiator that I did wonder about heat soak.

Oh, and my grumpy MOT man didn't like it either and gave me an advisory for it :lol:

Gman

I am using a K&N filter direct to the TB on my 205 gti6. However, the induction sound when same was fitted to my old 306 gti6 was much nicer. Do you think the intake pipe as per Dizzie Stuff's set-up affects the resonance and thus sound?

Dizzee stuff

I made a plastic panel that fits gearbox side that has about a 2" return under the filter this seams to keep the filter nice and clean.

johniban

thats no lower than a standard 306 filter, probably a foot off the ground at the least.

I was only saying as someone i know had an air filter behind a fog lamp hole and he sucked in aload of water