• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

4Wd Drivetrains/engines

Kane

Tom, I've looked into the honda hrv/crv awd setup previously as there are kits available on the market to convert minis to this off-the-shelf but it appears to be a very weak system which failed miserably on standard tests. I believe it was a Swedish car magazine that put it to the test and on an incline setup imitating a front wheel slip the rear did not engage whatsoever.

Tis a bit unfortunate there isnt anything better to offer for the honda range as aftermarket parts availability is plentiful and it seems most things have been tried and tested to death already.

Rippthrough

Why not go mid engine/rwd and save some weight and hassle? Use the boxster setup, or a transverse setup with the engine canted forward?

Edited by Rippthrough

Kane

I wouldn't say I'm adverse to custom setups as it is obvious that there will be a lot of one of parts required for this. I'd only highlighted that i would be aiming for a platform that doesnt need extensive machining to match gearboxes to engines etc purely to keep costs down.

Again there isn't any real reason for not considering a mid-engine rwd setup other than I'm looking at 4wd. If this proves unachievable I'll resort back to the less difficult fwd options.

Rippthrough

One of ours ran the Nissan V6 with standard gearbox, running forward to an off-the-shelf Milner drop-box, then shafts forwards and back to TVR diffs with adaptors (again, can buy these from various places) to fit Range Rover driveshafts to, although that one is running a Pug 206 shell not the MINI it would fit.
Makes it cheap bar the box>diff shafts, and I guess you could hunt around for something with different diffs and shafts close enough you could run them, or entire subframes for the suspension and diffs as well - as you can put the drop box where you like really. Then you've only got 2 ends and the gearbox>dropbox shaft to sort.

It's a bit more work than an entire drivetrain but unless you just shorten an Evo floorpan or similar there's not a mega lot you'd want to use - but then, you've just spent a lot of time and money to make....a slower, worse handling Evo at twice the price.

Edited by Rippthrough

Batfink

Fiat Panda 4x4 engine and transmission. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Kane

Sounds like an interesting project, have you got any more info about it online?

I agree with second comment as I'm fairly certain if i was to buy an evo which was road worthy I'd struggle to justify chopping it up and in the end would likely keep it. Looking at the going rate of whole cars, even earlier models, unless i found a cheap smashed up one i think its a non-starter.

hcmini1989

I would second the VAG 20v idea as well there are so many variations from TTs A3s S3s etc plus if you get a BAM or AMK engine change the rods in them and there good for up to 500bhp + obviously not on standard tubo injectors etc .So you would be able to choose from various VWs AUDIs for your drive train and could all be bought second hand for not a lot of money

OR

Get a little proton satria (I think) the little gti one with screwed on arches .These will take EVO running gear by just bolting it on and the engine will drop straight in as well .I think the only modding needing is a shortened prop (easy enough) and the boot floor cutting out (spare wheel holder) and a flat plate welding/riveted etc in place .

Evo running gear is expensive but if you buy a mitabushi RVR these are like a small people carrier you can buy rusty ones of these for sub 1k and they are basicly an EVO with out the fancy styling .

Rippthrough

Nothing bar a few pics of it going - was a customer car.

johnnyboy666

If you wanted to stick with a pug engine, you could use an LDV pilot bellhousing on an XU, with a landrover R380 gearbox/transfer box. I always thought that might be a laugh, but probably s*ite for any type of high performance use.

Kane

I've done a bit of digging and the 20v VAG engine could be a suitable candidate. A4 quattro's seem to be readily available and can be had for good money too. Plus side is that they come with the torsen 4wd as opposed to the haldex setup.

They are however mounted longitudinally so will require a custom tunnel or a portion of the A4 floorpan grafted in.

welshpug

not a chance youll get the longitudunal fwd arrangement under a round nose mini with the wheels in the right place!

There is a 4wd system in the t4 vans using a transverse engine.

Kane

Looking at engine/box assemblies you're probably right, driveshaft angles would be a fair bit out. I haven't looked at the t4 yet but it seems most if not all of the VAG 4wd setups which are transverse are haldex based systems.

welshpug

not haldex under the T4, though probably not that easy to find.

Kane

I'll check out the t4 and see what it uses.

Theres a bloke who has used an adapted haldex setup with a custom solid ring gear resulting in full time 4wd. Not much detail on the ins and outs of it but heres the 1.8t in a mini.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/07/mini-quattro/

Space certainly does look like a premium here.

Anybody know if the adapted haldex has been done anywhere else with success?

Edited by Kane

hcmini1989

why not just get one out of golf/bora 4 motion or a3/s3 or TT ,engine goes the right way

Rippthrough

Just make it mid mounted and have done ;)

FINISHED%20012.jpg

Biggles

I was going to suggest TT too ...

Kane

That certainly looks a bit of an animal! I hear what you're saying, it would simplify things quite a bit and may be the way to goes if this 4wd proves to be too difficult.

As mentioned before the issue with the a3/TT etc is the use of a haldex based awd system. Unless it can be adapted to run permanent 4wd then you're essentially getting all the handling characteristics of fwd until the system detects slip. Although from the link i posted yesterday it seems as though the clutch pack/rear diff can be modified for a mechanical alternative which provides permanent 4wd so definitely an avenue which I'll look into.

Malc

Only one solution to this.................... Get a 911 turbo engine and running gear, engine in the rear to save all the front end faffing about getting it to fit in the mini. Very reliable too I believe.

Just need that lottery win and your sorted, oh and the balls to butcher a 911.

Kane

Bastard, if only that lotto win came in last night!

Found another thread where someone was installing a 1.8t. Fwd gearbox and engine fit in a roundnose without any bulkhead mods but the larger diff on the 4wd fouls slightly and the output for the propshaft passes clean through the original steering rack position. However the extent of work required, at least in relation to the front end, doesn't appear to be anywhere near as involved as i first imagined.

Now its just a case of justifying the purchase of a TT to the Mrs.

johniban

Find a rolled subaru or evo? use the front and rear floor pan into what ever shell your wanting to use? obviously still alot of fabrication but less than trying to fit separate parts to something

Edited by johniban

Kane

Doesn't look as though subaru flat 4 would fit due to the front driveshaft output location. Would mean having to fit a massive extended front which I'd like to avoid.

Rolled evo would be an option but they seem to still retain their value even if heavily damaged whereas road worthy TT quattro's aren't overly expensive and cat D right offs with very little damage can be picked up for sub 1k.

johniban

Have you looked at class 6/7 autograss cars? You may get a very decent frame to witch you can input your suspension spec and engine of choice, i know you wouldn't get 4wd but a decent rwd set up, and alot of mini size ones about,

johniban

Dependant on what you was intending to use it for, i always wanted to go for something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORSA-HOT-ROD-OUTLAW-SLICK-CAR-RACE-CAR-/252192879384?hash=item3ab7ddf318:g:jYcAAOSwv-NWWOLy

I know its a big expence but its all there, a decent chassis to work from and a nice engine package,

I helped a friend with a similar project a while back with a saxo 2.0 hotrod he bought, we was going to swap the shell over to a standard ish looking saxo but once the old shell was removed it was clear that the chassis had been built but an amature and he didn't feel safe carrying on with the project.

This was the car with the shell removed..

null_zpsa2f576f9.jpg

null_zpsa57ef30f.jpg