• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SweetBadger

Slightly Bent Torsion Bars - What Are My Options?

SweetBadger

Hi, I finished stripping down my crashed race car at the weekend, salvaging any decent parts.

I was hoping to be able to reuse most of the rear suspension parts but the impact was so heavy that the rear beam tube is bent, as was one of the trailing arm shafts! On top of this the rear arb was snapped at the splined part and to top it off the almost new 25mm torsion bars are slightly bent!

One has about a 1.5mm deflection in it, the other about 3mm - I need to get a straight edge on them to get an accurate measurement.

Is there any tolerance with torsion bars seeing as they deflect under use anyway? If not is it possible to get them pressed straight?

Thanks.

Edited by SweetBadger

Tom Fenton

Bummer, being spring steel if it was a minor force they would return back to where they were. If they have permanently deformed then they have seen a large load that has taken them past the elastic deformation point.

Could probably press them straight but would they ever be totally right again?

allanallen

Question is, were they dead straight to begin with?

SweetBadger

I don't know if they were dead straight to begin with, but they are definitely more bent than before the crash - the deflection is only at the off-side ends of the bars closest to the wheel that was hit (starting about 30cm from the ends).

I think I could get away with using the less bent one as it is, but I guess it might be tricky to get in/out of the beam if the splines each end are not in line.

If getting them pressed back straight is not too pricey then I'd consider that option - don't suppose you know a place that would take on that kind of work?

petert

Depends if they've been hardened and tempered. If not, they'll press out. I'd try it either way. You have nothing to loose.

Edited by petert

SweetBadger

These are the Torsion Performance bars - I read a thread on here from a while back and assuming it's the same supplier I think the conclusion was that the bars are not heat treated after machining (they use pre-heat treated material or something like that http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=151764&page=2 ).

So they may be good to press straight, might give the supplier a call and get their take on it, although being as it's their business to sell torsion bars I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is buy a new set!...

Finding someone to press them straight might be tricky though.

• Like 1

welshpug

Shouldn't be too tricky at all to get them straight if they will straighten, just need a press really!

not quite the same, but I have managed to straighten a pretty bent jockey wheel with my 10T press and it didn't take long at all.

allanallen

If you're stuck for anyone local to straighten them I'd be happy to have a go.

SweetBadger

Hi Allan, that'd be great - I don't know anyone down here who I'd be happy to let have a go at them, and with it being London everything usually ends up being 5x the price it should be!

I'll get in touch shortly. Cheers.

• Like 1

Rippthrough

I've straightened a fair few of them before in a press, never had an issue with it, not something I'd really recommend but there you go.

allanallen

I've straightened a fair few of them before in a press, never had an issue with it, not something I'd really recommend but there you go.

What kind of answers that Phil! :D

SweetBadger

Long overdue update on this.

I sent the bars off to Allan at Bridgecraft and he pressed them straight with no problems - in fact I think the came back straighter than when they were new!!

Fitted them to the beam of the new car - went in with no issues, result!

• Like 2