• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

artois7

Red 205 Mi16 - H419 Pwy. Forum Rescue!

artois7

I had no purpose to offend you mate was just trying to offer advice as i thought you had paid a professional to carry out to repair for you..

I wasn't looking for a bitch fight as some people on here is all they do!

End of the day you don't want to paint it and end up with more rust bubbling back through, im no profesional welder neither am i than competant, i try to do everything myself rather than pay people as you may know it gets rather expensive paying everyone else todo stuff so i try my best to have a go myself, some reason calvin and dan need to critise me for this, i couldnt care less,

Good luck with the car mate but ill no longer be following

No problem mate. No offense taken.

I won't be having any issues with rust bubbling back through as there is no rust left there, but appreciate you trying to warn me. I certainly couldn't even attempt to weld something myself so props to you for giving it a shot.

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

Top tip for getting the joint line filled. Take a wiper blade apart and tape the stainless stiffener along where the line is....it's a great match to the gap. Can just apply a skim of filler over it to guide. When finished a smear of filler wiped across the joint line and left unsanded mimics the original sealer quite well .

Edited by steve@cornwall

artois7

Steve, thanks for the tip, bit too late though!

Good progress this weekend. A finished repair shot, as promised:

IMAG0613_zpskthg4lif.jpg

IMAG0615_zpsevahpm4q.jpg

Good enough for me.

Ran wires for an amp in the boot from the headunit, and ran a power cable through a grommet in the bulkhead to connect to the battery. Sound deadening and the carpet has dropped back in after a decent scrub.

IMAG0614_zpsssydmj2f.jpg

Reinstalled the rear seats (still covered in the previous owner's dog hair!) then stopped.

Next job is to reinstall the sunroof. Several of the torx bolts snapped on removal, so I need to find/purchase 7 of the M3 clinch nuts (I think?) and then another 7 of the torx bolts to bolt it all in. The sunroof frame also required repair as the drain pipes had rotted through. This has been carried out but no pictures unfortunately.

Annoyingly, I came to install the amp and found the headunit that came with the car has Bluetooth but no RCA outs!! Absolutely bizarre. Add a new headunit to the list.

Got a very reasonable quote from Greenlight for the insurance as well.

Left to do:

*Fit sunroof

*Replace lower arms

*Replace beam mounts

*Bleed brakes

*Replace gearbox oil

*Fit the rest of the interior

*Full service including coolant flush

*Buff the paint

*MOT and enjoy!

Nearly there!

Edited by artois7

artois7

Been a while since the last update...

*Fit sunroof

*Replace lower arms - Not needed now.

*Replace beam mounts

*Bleed brakes

*Replace gearbox oil

*Fit the rest of the interior

*Full service including coolant flush

*Buff the paint

*MOT and enjoy!

Found more rust on the sill, so that's been chopped out and replaced. Got to replace the manifold gasket as it's currently blowing, and locate some trim clips to put the front arches back on. Still slowly plodding away, but she's getting there.

artois7

Exhaust manifold fixed, trim put back on, treated with plasticare, dash stripped down, plastic lugs repaired / bodged (french plastic...), brakes gone over...

Test drive..

FB_IMG_1456089123346_zpszjsdk6y0.jpg

received_10153256032430946_zpstqhqhqlr.j

received_10153256026375946_zpsxvgmrrci.j

Ready for an MOT now. Frees my attention to turn back to the 1.6!

dobboy

Looks nice with the wheels, they suit it, or it suits them ????

Anthony

Superb work with this one Dan, as I dare say that most people would have broken that for spares with the roof in the state that it was.

Good luck with the MOT and getting the old girl back on the road so that you can enjoy the fruits of your labour :)

artois7

Thanks guys.

Insured it Saturday, then realised the washer pump is knackered so it's not quite ready for an MOT yet.

Went over to my garage and took the pump off of the 1.6 gti I've got, only for it to somehow fall out of the under seat compartment on the motorbike. Doh.

Should have a pump delivered to euro tomorrow, then attempt an MOT Tuesday.

steve@cornwall

Ben tabs to pull bottom of pump motor off, clean contacts/ brushes and reassemble......voila

artois7

Ben tabs to pull bottom of pump motor off, clean contacts/ brushes and reassemble......voila

Copper brush is missing from one of the contacts unfortunately - got a feeling it fell out during disassembly

steve@cornwall

Balls

artois7

£7 pump from euro fit and works a treat.

Took her in for the MOT. It failed on nearside front brake binding - guess I need a replacement caliper.

Really pleased with the result.

allye

Rebuild it don't replace!

Tom Fenton

I'd certainly have a look at it first off. It might just be a sticky slider or piston that needs cleaning of gunk and some lubrication.

artois7

I'd certainly have a look at it first off. It might just be a sticky slider or piston that needs cleaning of gunk and some lubrication.

Had already stripped it down and cleaned the sliders, will investigate further. Either way, a great result.

artois7

Wound the piston out a bit and found a thin film of surface rust. Cleaned it up and it seems to be working well.

Retest in the morning.

Anthony

Good luck!

Reebmit

Yeah good luck, let us know how it goes :)

artois7

It passed!

• Like 1

artois7

Good day of playing! Was horribly crashy / stiff at the front end - turns out the strut adjustment was wound in all the way. Good spot by Daza! Also the rear tyre rubbed on one of the arch trims and cracked it, very disappointing.

Typical first day of ownership that several things reveal themselves as broken, but it's all part of the fun!

starky5

First of all thanks Dan for the text to let me know that its back on the road and that this thread existed!

I'm so happy to see that she is back on the road to be enjoyed again, I never wanted the sell the car and was even more gutted when you said you were going to break her (that was the main reason I wouldn't budge on price!). It's a shame that the rust caught up with her at a time when I was doing the whole "renovating my first house" thing and I will 100% have another 205 in the future! On that note if you ever want to sell this car Dan could I have 1st dibs! Would love to get this car back because despite the state of the body work suggesting otherwise I spent a lot of time and effort on this car.

Top effort sorting her out and I hope driving her gives you the same enjoyment I had!