• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

205 Bodyshell Spit

Tom Fenton

Gents

I'm thinking of making a spit to enable easy access to the underside of 205 bodyshells when doing repairs etc

Before I start from scratch figuring out what dimensions I need to make it, to allow the body to spin a full 360 degrees, does anyone have such a thing already in existance, that they can throw a measuring tape over, to give me some basic dims to start off with.

I measured my car last night and reckon that the cross section is something like 1700 wide by 1400 high.

Cheers

speno

Tom I made one . its down a Matt's house

Juttie205

I made one from two engine stands but it didn't rotate a full 360 but was close its amazing how high you have to get the shell. I did find a video on youtube that uses a threaded bar part to lift car up to height this was a great design as you could fit spit when car was on ground or axle stands will see if i can find video.

allanallen

Another bloody project keeping you from getting on with the bloody thing!!! MOP MOP MOP!! :P

Tom Fenton

Another bloody project keeping you from getting on with the bloody thing!!! MOP MOP MOP!! :P

Ha ha ha. I've even resorted to finishing plumbing in the water heater in the garage...

allanallen

Water heater?! For tea,coffee, bed baths etc?

mrfirepro

Tom,

Sounds like your sorted, however I've still got mine if your in need of any dims.

Tom Fenton

Hi Paul, if you could tell me what the height of the A-frames are from pivot point to floor that would be useful? I have done some sketches and was planning on 1200 high with brackets dropping down from the pivot to the shell.

acox99

This is one I made a few years ago for work, it's a bit more complex but the pictures might give you a few ideas.

841AEA82-F256-4141-BA19-98691D0ABF92_zps

8824917C-EAC0-483F-8035-37A307F6BE14_zps

515BB2B0-062F-4255-8D9F-DDFB5E5C5428_zps

F92DC3F8-1722-46C5-A0DE-5D7F7DD9688A_zps

timoth123

My profile pic is the one that Paul now has. I Made it from the mk2mania kit that's available from their site.

Tom Fenton

Cheers all, that gives me some good ideas.

Paul, any chance of pics of how the cross bars attach to the body please?

205wrc

This is mine in the build process. Will get measurements for you tomorrow night. It has since been finished but the shell isn't on it yet...

â‹imag0206f.jpg

imag0912o.jpg

imag0911t.jpg

imag0914t.jpg

dcc

not being funny here aled, there's more chance of Lowri finishing that 205 than you even starting it! hahaha

205wrc

Hahaha...........Every time I clear the garage to bring her in, more dashes turn up. Got rid of all my stock a few weeks ago, so dismantled everything in there, cleared up, and 2 dashes turned up.....and another 3 last night. I want a bigger shed!!!! She WILL be in before christmas......guaranteed

zeebraa

Where abouts is everyone mounting the rear of their spits to on the shell?

Juttie205

if you look at my link i added it show where i did mine.

205wrc

Mine is mounted to the rear bumper mounts and also to the boot catch

Tom Fenton

Made a start on this today, pair of a frames made, next job is to sort the pivot housings and shafts.

Made them 1m high where the pivot will go.

00048458-E05F-4715-A04D-3B0AA2EBAC3E_zps

• Like 3