• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m_john_m

Advise On Either Carbs Or Throttle Bodies On My Mi16 Track Car

m_john_m

I am not going to fit the 306 sump. I will be buying a baffle instead.

Hmmmm dif would help! What do these cost? About 500+ fitting? Could be a good option with 16v management.

No point doing carbs if the cost difference isn't much. Rather save up that bit longer and get bodies! Maybe that's for next winter

petert

gti6 sump on an alloy bottom end doesnt really work. You lose the stiffener plate. Its there for a reason. I'd be spending monays on a diff first!

Yes, easy solution is XU10 sump + stiffer plate + extended pickup.

You probably don't want to hear this, but there's a lot more things to spend your money on before throttle bodies, in order to make the car faster.

ie

LSD

torsion bars

shocks

tyres

brakes

m_john_m

I am open to any/all advise!

Brakes and tyres are a defenite over winter.

I'm going to hopefully get some coilovers for it. Not sure what ones yet though. Probbaly get some bilsteins rear shocks.

I haven't thought of torsion bars!

petert

Not even coilovers are important for it to go fast. The top three things, in my mind, are 23+mm torsion bars, LSD and gearing. If your engine is running strongly, sort those three out first. What gearbox are you running now?

m_john_m

I think i will start looking for 16V management. anyone selling a set?

i emailed spoox for a price for the 16v conversion and they came back with like £1k lol.......

sure i seen one not too long ago for a few hundred.

im currently running the standard 1.9 gearbox.

I was thinking about putting the 1.6 box in it. only problem is i wouldn't know how to get the longer ratio 5th gear as dont they top out at like 100?

Anthony

I was thinking about putting the 1.6 box in it. only problem is i wouldn't know how to get the longer ratio 5th gear as dont they top out at like 100?

No, nothing like that short - a 1.6 GTi gearbox tops out around 135mph from memory with a 7200rpm limiter.

m_john_m

oh thats not too shabby ;) i remember watching a video of someone flying round croft in a 205 with a 1.6 box in it. it hit the limiter at like 103mph or something like that! got there quick though.

may look at getting a 1.6 gearbox. The clutch is very very high so going to replace that aswel! money pit haha

petert

Didn't you say it was a track car? I'd run 1.9L gears with a 4.43:1 cwp. ie short.

m_john_m

it is going to be my track car. i may MOT it and use it as a fast road but i have other stuff for that.

Oh thanks. ill have to find out who locally can modify the ratios for me.

iv got aabout 5 months to get it ready. im hoping to use it next year, didnt get to use it much this year.

Tom Fenton

To be honest I would just use what you've got to begin with. Make it reliable, make it so the brakes will stand track use, then go and use it. You will soon decide which way is best to go, but there is more improvement to be had in the driver department than anywhere else.

m_john_m

That's my main aim to make it reliable. I have been told it's not good for the car running on 8v management so that's why I thought go for carbs or bodies. But tbh it's probs best I get it running on 16v management.

I was going to put 306 brakes on t from my other pug but just going to put decent pads and disks on it

m_john_m

What do you mean?

welshpug

i emailed spoox for a price for the 16v conversion and they came back with like £1k lol.......

this.

m_john_m

Oh sorry....

Mi16 engine harness - £125.00 + VAT

Mi16ecu - £80.00 + VAT

Mi16 air flow meter - £60.00 + VAT

Mi16 injectors - £80.00 + VAT

Link loom between the car & the engine harness - £125.00 + VAT

Potentially a flywheel and crank sensor - £60.00 + £49.88 + VAT

Cam adaptor - £40.00 + VAT

Rotor arm - £22.55 + VAT

Dizzy Cap - £35.56 + VAT

Ignition leads - £52.52 + VAT

Coilpack - £32.85 + VAT

I have seen a conversion kit on here for approx 300 a few months ago. Is this about right?

If so then I may aswel spend a bit more and go for bodies haha!

Miles

Loom isn't too bad, Everything else allot, ECU, AFM. Injectors are the same as the 1.9 and that much for 20 year old injectors is allot, The link loom is my view is a bodge as it's a cheap way of connecting the loom and costs all of £10.00 to make. Crank sensors brand new from Motor factors are only £25.00 and Dizzy caps/arms cheaper there as well, Flywheels used are £25.00 ish generally. No coil pack only a ignition coil (later 8v one uses same connecters but mounted differently), Leads again £25.00 ish from motor factors

m_john_m

oh thanks! i may start buying all the stuff for it. Then once i have finished spraying it i will give it to my uncle for him to connect up etc! saves me breaking the thing!

Paul_13

Err barge pole brings to mind

m_john_m

Barge pole for what? Me touching the car or spoox?

I can understand about me touching the car haha!

welshpug

the latter.

Miles

If you stick a wanted add up I should be able to find most of that