• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scbond

Gearbox Blown?

scbond

Just pulled out onto an A road fairly hard and there was a loud bang along with smoke and escaping gear oil. Also lost what sounded like metal fragments but can't be sure. After a short while going slow I lost all drive...had to be towed by police :(

Had a look under the car and a hole has been blown out on the bell housing. From that and lack of drive am I right in thinking the clutch has blown to pieces?

Tom Fenton

More likely diff planet wheels have s*it themselves. Not unheard of by any means. New gearbox time.

scbond

Think so yeah. Had a better look and there's a gear/sprocket sat loose in the bottom of the bell housing, chunk missing and something else has blown out too...will have pics shortly.

welshpug

I'd agree with Tom's diagnosis, when I rebuilt my original 1.9 box the planet gears had a lot of marking, they wouldn't have lasted a lot longer, it had been grumbling a while, good excuse to throw an LSD in it :D

Unfortunately with a hole in the casing it is indeed new box time, or at the very least the casing.

scbond

Kk. Trying to get pics uploaded but either way I need to be getting a gearbox, probably a clutch too as I imagine that got contaminated with oil.

Can anyone explain the planet gear a bit more to me? Is that part of the diff? Don't really know anything about the gearboxes on these engines.

Is replacement fairly straightforward so that it can be done on a couple of axle stands in a car park? Take it near-side driveshaft out, disconnect the gear linkage and then drop it out? No power steering...apparently that makes it worse if it has it?

scbond

As you can see there's a chunk missing from the bottom bell housing casing. Not sure what is missing from the circular bit next to that though? Can't really get a suitable pic of it but you can also see and feel a small sprocket sat loose on the side of that hole.

iqm1ax.jpg

29276rr.jpg

scbond

Is this the planet gear (or part of it)? Rest of it looks to be the part stuck at the bottom of the inside of the bell housing.

29uvjo1.jpg

welshpug

certainly is!

scbond

Kk, at least we have a cause then! That bit was resting on the top of the bell housing...no idea how it got there afterwards!

Why does this happen? Is it likely anything I've done driving wise? I don't really slaughter it or anything...though this did happen when I floored it in first.

Also, does this normally sit on the base of the input shaft inside the bell housing or is it from inside the gearbox itself? Are the gears likely to be gone too?

welshpug

its just wear and tear unfortunately, later be boxes in higher torque/power applications got larger planet gears, they are meshed with the gears the driveshafts slide into inside the diff. (hence the shorter spline on a vts or gti6 left hand inner cv)

the rest of the box is probably ok as they are fairly hardy things, but the casing and diff are toast, possibly other bits but impossible to tell until it has been stripped down.

scbond

K, sorted. Probably gonna be the weekend now when I get the box off. Made a start earlier but still most of it to do!

Is there any way to check the planet gears on any replacement? Or beeter yet, any way to prevent the issue or do away with them? Read an LSD will but not sure what fits, cost etc.

scbond

Anyone know what this part is? Plastic with what looks like a metal pin on it. Was bolted where the bell housing meets the block at the back, above the diff. Part of it is missing as part of a gear forced its way through the casing next to it.

IkUfI2O.jpg

JH18Yoh.jpg

rallysteve

Part of the bracket that holds the useless TDC sensor by the looks of it

scbond

Part of the bracket that holds the useless TDC sensor by the looks of it

Ok, cheers...didn't even know there was a TDC sensor on the Jetronics though, so is that right?

welshpug

its just an engine speed sensor for diagnostic purposes rather than a tdc sensor.

scbond

Ah ok...so should a wire be going to it somewhere? It was literally just that bit bolted down...not even sure the magnet/pin was even sat in an aperture.

scbond

Seen the extent of the damage...pretty bad! Will upload pics later. The clutch seems to have survived but the pressure plate ans been smashed at the top so will replace with a new kit to play it safe.

Another question I have is should there be a plastic part sat iver the clutch fork pivot ball joint? Replacement has nothing on it but the old ine has sone weird plastic bit pushed over it and looks like it could be there to support the fork?

welshpug

Probably should be attached to the fork

scbond

Ah, I just have a bare fork. Should it be metal on metal?

scbond

Nevermind...found a pic with the plastic part in it. Will try and salvage it off my old box.

Also, and I've tried searching, is there anyway to identify the FD without dismantling the top of the crown wheel to see what is stamped on it?

Slo

The plastic bit is just a shroud that is packed with grease to lubricate the ball joint on the arm

scbond

Kk, pulled it off and will refit it to the fork.

Just took the pressure plate off and one of the bolts has been ripped clean off...found the broken head and washer in the diff. What are the options...replace flywheel, drill out or leave it?

omega

got a clutch here if you need it

scbond

Clutch is sorted to be honest...though if you're willing ro supply just a pressure plate that woukd save me a bit.

Just that broken stud I'm worried about.

Tom Fenton

Are you serious?! Yes the broken bolt 100% needs to come out and be replaced!