• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

flyfisher

Where To Get Plasticare Bumper Dye

flyfisher

as per topic title can't seem to buy it anywhere anyone know of a stockist thanks peter

Pugleyrich

I've only ever seen it for sale on eBay by the guy based in Winchester. I'm not sure there is anywhere else to get it, other than a second hand bottle

scbond

Only the one place...tge guy has it produced for him. He's very hit and miss. Some have no issues with him, others have. The guy ripped me off.

He's the worst person at comms in the world. Easier to reach someone by email while up Everest.

Andy_C

Try Solution Finish as an alternative. Great results but I haven't used Plasticare so no idea how it compares.

soundguy

I've just ordered a bottle of what appears to be the same stuff sold as 'Autobright Restore 2 Black Permanent Dye'. They also do grey. QUIDS12.50 (can't find pound sign)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autobright-Restore-2-Black-Permanent-Dye-to-plastic-vinyl-rubber-and-mouldings-/331647914927?

I'll be testing/using it over the next few days/when it arrives - I've also got 1/2 a bottle of Plasticare to compare it to.

Edited by soundguy

soundguy

Just to add the Autobright dye arrived this morning, comes with a foam applicator pad and a pair of nitrile gloves which I'm happy about, nice little extra. Haven't got the Plasticare here to compare it but will report back (anyone else bought/tried this?).

Barryboy85

Sound guy I'm interested to know how you get on with the autobright.... Keep me posted pls

soundguy

Aye, will do. Haven't applied any as of yet but will have a go with it soon.

• Like 1

flyfisher

Just used restore to black on a phase two rear bumper. Tried this as I can no longer get plasticare dye Results were as good as plasticare I would certainly recommend this product and price is good to comes with gloves and appiicator. Try it out you won't be dissapointed

• Like 1

Barryboy85

Flyfisher how long will it last? I've got phase 1.5 grey bumpers..... Need to find a decent grey bumper dye...

soundguy

OK, here are my results from a small test patch.

Plasticare vs Autobright Dye

(I should point out that, if there are any compression sartfacts in the pic it's because I had to use an online image optimiser to reduce the file size down to >500Kb, if you want the original let me know)

post-16694-0-95676600-1443643685_thumb.jpg

soundguy

Forgot to say, Plasticare is the one on the...

soundguy

Left!

As far as I'm concerned Autobright wipes the floor with Plasticare. In fact I might grab another bottle before everyone realises how much better this stuff is.

I should point out that I really didn't try to make a better job of applying the Autobright. It's just denser, thicker, easier to get an even coverage. And I used a really small amount on the test patch, less than the amount of Plasticare I used.

Slo

Can you do a sample that's dried, if that's plasticare on the left it hasn't been left to dry properly before the picture or if its dried it hasn't been applied properly giving a poor impression of its effect.

soundguy

The two applications were done minutes apart, then the trim was left in the sun for an hour or so (possibly more) this afternoon before I took the pic - although I didn't wipe my finger across to see if it was dry, I expect it was due to ambient temp and warm breeze.

The reason it looks poorly applied is because they both were, except the Autobright just applies in an easier, more consistent manner. I've found that even when taking care Plasticare can leave a slightly patchy/uneven impression, and have read that Plasticare isn't suited to covering larger surfaces like interior panels because of this (according to a forum member here, forget who).

I have no affiliation with Autobright in any way at all - I'm just surprised and happy that an alternative is better in ease of application, short term results and valuse for money (ie a little goes a longer way that Plasticare).

Slo

Aye its got to be applied properly and 2 coats minimum i'd say, you wipe it on sparingly with a sponge or as you say you get the patchy look.

Does look good that on the right, I just don't see how the plasticare on the left looks s*it like that, I used it on my trim, albeit black, and the results were and still are spot on.

Where can you get the autobright stuff?

soundguy

I linked to the ebay page for it a few posts back on this page.

flyfisher

Got mine off e/bay. Think it was about 12.50 came with applicator and gloves. As to how long it will last only time will tell I've used plasticare as well. But I think the new stuff is better

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, any updates on this auto bright stuff holding up then compared to the plasticare stuff? I've heard good things about it that's all.

Telf

ive used it on my trim- looks good- seems to go on cleaner. Time will tell if it survives a winter and washing.. for £13 its the best stuff Ive used recently.

Edited by Telf

yorkshirekowboy

Just an update, that auto bright stuff is brilliant.!!!

Redjam007

I ll second that, tryed it on mine today and it came up great, was the grey I used.