• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonb_5

1.6 Engine Build

jonb_5

Hi

I have been looking at alot of different options but in terms of budget I am looking at rebuilding a 115bhp 160pcc engine.

The car is not road legal and used solely for hill climbing.

I am going to have the head fully work and lower the compression and it currently runs twin webber 40's.

Can anyone recommend a cam for a decent power hike?

Any other mods I should be looking at while the engine is in bits? Flywheels etc....

Thanks

Jon

205tunerke

Why would you lower the compression?

What cam are you running at the moment?

jonb_5

Hi,

Sorry, raise the compression by sliding the head.

It's a standard cam, the engine has 93bhp at the wheels so seems to be pretty healthy although I would like to maximise the power output.

I am significantly down on power compared to other cars in my class.

Thanks

Jon

Telf

have a read of this:

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk/PEUGEOT%20205%208%20VALVE%20ENGINE%20TUNING%20GUIDE.htm

other than that search these forums - there loads of information. The more you flesh out what you are planning the more likely you are to get a response.

I cant help I know little about tuning - I'm muddling through a 8V build at the moment

Good Luck

jonb_5

Thanks for the information.

I have been in touch with Kent Cams and they have recommended a PT37, with an 11:1 compression ratio as suggested in the above link.

I will be porting and polishing the head with I have been told 43mm valves.

Any opinions please.

Thanks

Jon

Tom Fenton

Unless you know what you are doing, either leave the head alone or get a professional to do it. Its very possible to make it worse rather than better.

jonb_5

I am trying to post up a spec for the head but will not be doing the head work myself. I am looking into people locally but the name Shillaber Race Design crops up very regularly so I will be making a phone call on that one.

Its the rest of the engine spec I am really asking for opinions on at this stage.

Thanks

Jon

welshpug

flat top XU9J2 pistons are ideal for this kind of build, they'll raise the compression to suitable levels and save excessive skims on the head.

I wouldn't be so focused on valve sizes, its about the whole package and making it work together, not that often you need bigger valves in a pug engine as they're pretty big already, though you'll struggle to beat something with more valves.

I'm guessing you hillclimb in the same area as Mark Shillaber Colin Satchell and Dean Gammon et al, is it a 1600 class you run in?

a mild 16v TU engine will outperform an XU 8v on similar budgets, though it will be heavier.

dcc

Mei i think the regs state engine block my be original to car

welshpug

yeah, that's not too difficult, sandy has a 16v TU in a 205 down there of his.

jonb_5

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah your right, hill-climb in the South West but to be honest when I am up against Dean I am never going to be competitive! If I had a jet engine I think he would still crucify me!

The main drive for me is to have some fun and I am doing it all on a budget.

I like the idea of the 16v TU engine but reading up on the regs it states the engine block has to have originally been fitted to the car, this to me would mean the 1.4 TU engine would be OK to run but the 1.6 TU wasn't ever fitted to a 205. Its all not very clear unfortunately.

Jon

welshpug

dean has a 1700 and he runs in the 1800 class I think so you're kinda safe if there's a 1600 class, though sandy and mark's 1400's will be pushing you :D

I'm not massively familiar with the tu engines, but I think you could build a 1600 from a TU3 205 block.

jonb_5

Unfortunately I am in the same class - C2 - 1400cc to 1800cc.

I will look into the TU3 and options.

Thanks

Jon