• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jameswallace.

1.6 Drum Brakes On To 1.9 Stub Axles?

jameswallace.

Has anybody tried to fit 1.6 drum brakes onto a 1.9 beam or 309 beam?

I have just read that the stub axles on the 309 and 1.9 are the same but the 1.6 stub axles are shorter.

I was however unaware of this before and have fitted my drum brakes to a 309 disc beam.

They seem to have fitted fine but am I likely to run into problems when I start driving it?

If anyone has any knowledge or experience with the problem please let me know

Ams

I have 1.6 drums and stub axles fitted to a rebuilt 309 GTI beam, I've not experienced any issues.

jameswallace.

Hahha okay awesome to know! Do you know if the beam originally had discs or drum brakes?

welshpug

disc stub axles are longer, so whilst the bearing will fit, the nut will bottom out on the stub axle threads IIRC, also the grease cap will not fit due to the length of the stub axle.

jameswallace.

What do you mean by bottoming out? As in it won't have enough thead so can't tighten it enough? The grease cap did however fit okay when I put them on.

Does any one have 1.6 stubb axles by chance? As I've ditched my beam. Would it be the same as a base model?

Anthony

Bottoming out as in the nut tightens to the end of the thread without adequately torquing the bearing up. It will typically feel OK with the car jacked up, but the bearing will fail when you drive the car.

I should have a pair of 1.6 stub axles in the garage - I'll double check later if you're after some.

• Like 1

jameswallace.

Thanks Anthony please let me know if you have any luck!

pug_ham

I have some stub axles if Anthony doesn't.

g

Ams

Hahha okay awesome to know! Do you know if the beam originally had discs or drum brakes?

Yep it originally had the disc setup did but I told the chap that rebuilt the beam to remove it since I was going to transfer over the 1.6 stub axle and drum setup.

jameswallace.

Yep it originally had the disc setup did but I told the chap that rebuilt the beam to remove it since I was going to transfer over the 1.6 stub axle and drum setup.

Okay so you changed the stub axles then?

I have some stub axles if Anthony doesn't.g

How much would you do them for posted pug ham? I am running very low on funds now but these are a must! :(

Ams

Yup changed to 1.6 stub axles as mentioned in my first post above. :)

• Like 1