• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

1.9 Gti Head Bolt Snapped Advice Needed

christopher

I just took the head of my mum's 205 GTi and one of the head bolt snapped down in the block.

• What should I do?
  • This is an original 1.9 block that has never had the head off.
  • There is nothing to hold on to, its snapped inside the block whilst on the car?
  • Can I realistically get this out with a stud extractor myself?
  • Do I need some super strong one that won't snap?

Cheers

Tom Fenton

Drill it out and helicoil the block. Make some drill and tap guides to keep everything square.

DO NOT attempt to get it out with stud extractors, all you will achieve is to break the extractor down the stud and then you are snookered. If the bolt is corroded in place well enough that it sheared rather than undid, there is no hope an extractor will shift it.

petert

Take it to a machine shop.

christopher

Drill it out and helicoil the block. Make some drill and tap guides to keep everything square.

DO NOT attempt to get it out with stud extractors, all you will achieve is to break the extractor down the stud and then you are snookered. If the bolt is corroded in place well enough that it sheared rather than undid, there is no hope an extractor will shift it.

To is there no hope extracting it? We could soak it in loads of penetrating oil for a long while

Take it to a machine shop.

Petert,

I really want to avoid taking the engine out and taking it apart if I can help it.

christopher

There are some kinds of people that drive round and extract studs and do helicoils.

Does anyone have experience with these down south (herfordshire/london)

e.g http://www.threaddoctorservicesltd.co.uk

This guy wants 180 quid!

Tom Fenton

Its quite simple, you sheared off a shank of 10mm diameter trying to undo the old one. It sheared rather than undoing which clearly shows how well seized in place it is.

My experience is that easy outs are a waste of time, if a bust stud is loose enough for them to work then it wouldn't have sheared in the first place.

Shear an easy out in the broken piece and then you are into a whole world of pain and spark erosion to get it out.

If you are not confident to drill it out yourself then £180 for a professional to travel to you and do it doesn't sound too bad to me.

What is your location as your profile says Copenhagen?

Bear in mind that the helicoil kit will cost you £40 which is a lot for 1 thread repair that you will do. Plus any other drills you may need. Best way really is to use a mag drill which ensures you drill square to the head face. But it can be done freehand with a pistol drill and some drill guides.