• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jassi

Taller Gearing For Gti-6 Engine

jassi

Hey Guys

I'm just starting to look for options on how to get taller gearing for motorway use in my GTI-6 powered 205. I think the car currently has 1.6 or 1.9 gearbox. It does around 4k revs in 5th at 80 and I'd like to get that down to 3k.Ideally I'd have 1st, 2nd and 3rd as they are and taller 4th and 5th as I do daily motorway driving as part of my commute. I read some posts about the GTI-6 6 speed box not really offering any taller gearing and reducing the turning circle so wondering if there are any other cost effective solutions?

Thanks

Jas

dcc

Inb4meiron with speedlimits 70!

And it sounds like you first need to check what box you have installed. There is an excell sheet somrwhere with varying gear ratios and the boxes they can be found in. I believe it is called puggearratios.xls have a search on google

• Like 2

Tom Fenton

4000rpm/80mph sounds like a 1600 box to me.

Easiest solution would be a 1900 box, drops the revs approx 1000rpm at motorway speed.

macaroni

I use a Xsara VTS 5sp box and seems perfect to me.

welshpug

another vote for the Xsara box, the 1.9 is probably a tad long for the characteristics of a 16v engine, you don't want to go too low on the rpm as you'll drop out of its efficiency range.

dobboy

Not sure but, would putting 16" wheels on it make a difference in bringing the RPM down at 80? (although your speedo would be out)

(then put your 15's on when you feel the need)

I have a VTS box, but if you have a long commute it still rev's (I guess) 3.5k at 70 odds, still not ideal for doing big motorway mileage.

The 1.9 box is better on the motorway, but not as good to drive in the lower gears.

welshpug

3.5k at 70 is fine.

dcc

To be honest there is a fair bit of b/s in stating the 1.9 is too long lower down. You simply lack the torque required. Man up and get more torque!

If anything the xsara box is too close ratio for the 16v engine in a light car. I have similar power to an 8v, xsara box with a lsd, it breaks traction easily, but the box is perfect for cruising around between 30 and 70. It will go on to do 144ish. I think on paper, at 7500rpm with 195/50/15 tyres it should be doing 151.8mph, I think this is incorrect in reality.

The xsara box will be sat at

3950rpm @80

3460rpm @70

2960rpm @60

(4.429 fd with 0.7575th and a circumference of 180.98cm)

The best thing about a xsara box is the ability to use a 3/4 cluster from a gti6 box or even a diesel box.

• Like 1

dcc

Please note my rev gauge was about 450-500rpm out when comparing using my dta ecu linked to software. When dta was sat at 7000rpm my dash was showing nearly 7.5k

• Like 1

welshpug

when your shift light comes on in 5th you'll be doing 154 dan.

Anthony

Whilst not as pronounced on a GTi-6 compared to a 1.9 Mi16, I find the longer 1.9 'box really blunts the eagerness and willing of a 16v engine. It probably isn't much slower against the clock I'd imagine, but crucially it feels slower and less exciting and fun.

Mi16/VTS gearbox is probably the best compromise for a road going car driven long distances, either that or a comparatively rare 1.9 CTi gearbox (same ratios as a 1.9 GTi but with a shorter 3.9 FD). That said, I never found a 1.6 gearbox to be a problem when I was doing 20k miles a year in my 205 - that was with a standard exhaust though, which drones/booms much less than most aftermarket stuff at cruising speed.

dcc

Theres no way I was doing 154.

My point i guess was that a gti6 engine is maybe too grunty to put the power down in 1st /2nd (depending how agressive you are with throttle and powah button). The longer ratios of the 1.9 (although were talking marginal differences here) with a standard fd, even on a standard '6, don't really destroy the feel of the engine. When I had a diseasle box on my old '6 for a short period it didnt feel dead at all, if it feels flat I'd question the cam timing and where your torque is!

You don't see rally/track cars with a short 1st/2nd combo. But then again cam choice vs standard are another debate here.

Falling short of your own custom box, a 1.9 or xsara box would be spot on - especially if on budget!

welshpug

Theres no way I was doing 154.

yeah you were, I know your driving :P