• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

samthornton1990

Faj... The 205 Of Dreams

samthornton1990

Been meaning to start this for a while.

Picked up a G reg Black 205 GTI at the back end of July, been after one ever since my last one!

So to start with it has had that many clock changes I don't even know what the mileage is, going off the old MOTs I'd say it's in the 160k region.

Engine sounds like a bag of nails, pretty sure it's dieing but it's running.

Interior had loads of little titty bits missing like door straps, window switches etc which are now sorted, need a few other bits but I'm getting there slowly, also fitted some Group N engine mounts and Gear Linkages with a quickshift!

IMG_20150831_075718_zpsxcbtjokc.jpg

Been resprayed by the lad I bought it off, not an amazing job but then not a bad job for what it is. Been lowered on some nasty springs, far too low for fun driving.

I was been a bit of a knob the other day and managed to send the planet gear into out of space :P fortunatley I had 2 spare 306 D turbo boxes knocking about so I've slapped one of them on for now.

20150831_141119_zpsvnin3uon.jpg

20150825_181511_zpsa84d5xlz.jpg

So that's it for now, I intend on Road Rallying it at some point as with my last one, picked up a JP4 the other day with everything bar gearbox to do a conversion, I'd like the space in the bay, and my mates old 106 used to tear my old 1900 GTI apart everywhere.

Need to get some funds together and get the conversion done and then I'll be looking into suspension etc. Saying all that it makes me grin like an idiot and I love it! Number plates amazing as well!

079_zps9nkj0nla.jpg

082_zpsjmonkh3q.jpg

Edited by samthornton1990

pugdamo

Christ, how tall are you?I'm surprised you can even get in that.

samthornton1990

Hahaha that's my mate, I'm 6'2 and with the seat lowered I still touch the roof!

allye

Really? I'm a shade under 6'6' and I'm fine.

That diesel box must be a bit s*it!

Edited by allye

DBG

Congrats on the new car mate. Looks like a pretty decent home spray job from the pics.

samthornton1990

Yeah it's the Sunroof lining so it'll be lower than the non sunroof one.

Derv box is crap, 1st and 2nd aren't bad, gets to 3rd and it goes downhill from there, saving for a BE4R and the other stuff to do the TU conversion

Cheers, the spray jobs not bad, when you get up close there's a few bits of overspray, it's only got 2 holes as well, little ones at that too

samthornton1990

Went down to have a look at the TU I purchased today. The chap I bought it off mentioned it had cams in it but didn't say what they were.

Finally got round to wipping the rocker cover off today and found it had the Cat Cams Ultimate fast road cam in.

Pretty chuffed for £200 for everything, I was going to stick with the XU but I think there'll be an engine conversion going in soon. Just need to save for the box and other bits!

Winning

samthornton1990

012-2_zpsoaasxh8h.jpg

Been a few weeks since I was last on here, went out to the Clitheronian Rally on Saturday night, car needs a lot more doing to it suspension wise, need to pull my fingers out, may as well be driving with a pair of rocks for dampers at the moment.

Got the rocker cover off the TU engine, turns out it has the Cat Ultimate Road Cams in so I've started pulling the parts together for the engine conversion.

On the smaller side of things I've managed to get a right hand door card with the switches in and I've got myself some proper side repeaters, unfortunatley the stupid LED ones were stuck on and it ripped a bit of the paint off when I got them out.

I will get round to taking some better photos.... hardly had the time to drive it at the moment!

samthornton1990

Update, got the 16v in and running.

J4 head that I had with the engine had bent valves so we sourced a JP4 head, fired up with ease, all the wirings sorted, just need to get some new shafts and get the car back together!

Will get some pictures uploaded tonight of it looking sorry for itself!

johnnyboy666

Bit off topic, but if you've still got the standard J4 cams and valve springs, I would be interested in buying them :)

samthornton1990

Ah I wish I had know, figured that people wouldn't be fussed as they're common as muck. Sorry bud I binned them!

So I went up to have a tinker today and got some photos,

Engine:

JP4 Head,

Cat 743 Cams

Unknown 4 Branch

Group N engine mounts

Group A fork bush

Engine_zpsataqwi2c.jpg

Waiting on some new shafts and then it's going to be fabricating the exhaust, I think my mate wants to knotch the subframe and try bring it up over the top of the ARB, should be an interesting exercise. Also the bonnet doesn't shut so I may end up going to bonnet pins to get the clearance I need from the engine.

Won myself some Cibie Super Oscars today so it's coming together piece by piece, hoping to get it up to the Lakes to spectate at Grizedale in 2 weeks.

Insides a bit of a tip at the moment, managed to get my old steering wheel back out of my last 205 for cheap! Happy days

Best bit is all the space in the bay now, easy access to everything!

Insude_zpsuypxw8su.jpg

johniban

You cant have the coil pack cover on if you are keeping the plastic cam covers,

It must shut without the coil pack cover surely?

There's plenty of room for a decent sized downpipe to go up and over the subframe without modifying the subframe at all.

dobboy

Is that exh mani a 4-2-1 or 4-1 ?

If 4-2-1 i'd maybe take it off you, i have a 4-1 which is fouling my lower strut brace on my Saxo, apparently mines sits lower than a 4-2-1 by about 25mm

samthornton1990

Bonnet does just just about now we've cut one of the bracing bars out, it still rubs though, going to source myself some J4 cam covers at some point.

As for the exhaust.. there's a company near us who track 205s and they go through the subframe so we've copied it, there wasn't a lot of room at all, the pipe would have ended up fouling the gear linkages.

All up and running now, just having trouble getting the bumper back on, rubber dohnut things need new bolts.

Also my lamp brackets have come and I've got a new headlight on order so they'll be on soon!

welshpug

nooo dont j4 it, horrible leaky things!

get an auto bonnet, one of the very rare instances they will help im sure :D

johniban

I cant see why the bonnet wouldn't shut they are usually fine, maybe only a small amount of rub on the bracing from the inlet mani usually,

I could never use the coil pack cover,

As WP says you'll be forever trying to get the metal covers to stop leaking, and they usally leak into where you don't notice and fill the spark plug holes...

I'm looking foward to seeing this subframe mod, it took me a while to make the down pipe fit but it was deffo the best option

samthornton1990

Welshpug,

The JP4 has definatley been worth it, pulls like a train compared to my last 1.9 205 which has had a rebuild and a cam, goes like s*it of a shovel.

The bonnet shuts now, the cam covers are fouling it a little bit but nothing a file can't sort of it gets any worse.

The lad who's done the conversion for me has had several 106 XSIs with j4s and jp4s in and they've all been fine with no leakes.

I'll get some pictures sorted when I get a day on it in the next month.

Ordered some Rainsport 3s this week along with strut top strengthening plates and new top mounts. Should have some Group N Billies sorted by the end of the month ☺