• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barneys66

White 1987 Ph1 1.9 Gti For Road And Track Shenanigans..

barneys66

Nothing much to report other than a step closer to finishing the engine. That said, a couple more goodies now waiting to be fitted, courtesy of this ere forum; 4.4 cwp and Ph2 Xsara VTS rack.

Moved house a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully the glacial pace of progress can be increased somewhat..!

DSC_0926_zpswfq1e1uk.jpg

DSC_0925_zpswondj2tn.jpg

Certainly needed this today - flipping freezing (was warmer outside!)

DSC_0922_zpsb1nuaaiw.jpg

barneys66

Made a start on the 4.4 CWP swap today - Mustang bellhousing came in handy when stripping donor gearbox..!

CWP out of donor and current gearbox half-stripped, so should all be back together again tomorrow.

DSC_0953_zps3yd7o4jx.jpg

DSC_0952_zpsgl3yns1h.jpg

allye

How funny! I did this today too. Took all day!

barneys66

How funny! I did this today too. Took all day!

Cool! Fiddly little fecker, isn't it..

When will you get your first drive..? Mine's going to be ages yet as still loads of other stuff to do.

allye

Few weeks for sure.

I found it ok apart from reinstalling the output shaft. That was tricky!

barneys66

Finally a bit of quality time on the car, so lots of prep and paint with a view to getting the engine back in this week.

We'll see..

A picture paints a thousand words as they say - this is not a resto, just taking the opportunity to upgrade / freshen / smarten things up a bit whilst the engine is out.

DSC_1028_zpstsdqms7y.jpg

DSC_1029_zpsphetrk9k.jpg

DSC_1138_zpsj4q7qj9t.jpg

DSC_1141_zpswzwuutus.jpg

DSC_1142_zpsinrusxjt.jpg

jackherer

That's looking good, it should go together fairly smoothly now given the planning you've put in.

barneys66

That's looking good, it should go together fairly smoothly now given the planning you've put in.

Let's hope so Jack!

Trying to borrow some stilsons for the rods but may have to drop you a line about the special tool. At least that will give me a chance to give you the wheel that's been in my boot for ages, and get the air filter..

Speak soon

barneys66

Only managed a few hours yesterday and today has already gone to pot. I've also been roped into something on Sat and Sun so, having planned a full 8 days it looks like I'm now going to get 4 max..

Lots of brackets and bolts cleaned up which seems to take forever, subframe painted, new track rod assemblies thread locked and tightened into Xsara VTS rack using borrowed stilsons, made a start on the new brake lines, etc, etc.

Gearbox (now with 4.4 cwp) given a tart up - aluminium paint is a bit louder than I wanted!

DSC_1149_zpsmsvoyxjr.jpg

Splashed a bit of Peugeot white over the white primer to blend the repairs in with the old - have kept any normal wear and tear marks as didn't want it to look over done.

DSC_1150_zpsp3xsd7va.jpg

• Like 2

barneys66

Grabbed a couple of bonus hours this afternoon - assembled the front subframe (final torquing to be done when back on wheels) including throwing on the OMP lower brace which came with the car.

I've read many conflicting posts on this, but it beats gathering dust on a shelf..

DSC_1151_zpsrxwsg2ud.jpg

Finally, anyone envisage any issues with my Saxo electric power steering pump being mounted in this orientation, ignoring the pipes? I wanted to use the original bracket (it will be braced to the inner wing), so removed the motor housing and rotated it by X degrees until this was achieved;

Battery being relocated to boot..

DSC_1153_zpsv6cghomv.jpg

DSC_1152_zpsfozldxax.jpg

Edited by barneys66

barneys66

Brake pipes done. That is all.

DSC_1156_zpsjqhozrm4.jpg

jackherer

I'm not sure if the orientation of the pump will be an issue or not, the reservoir capacity will be slightly less but other than that it should work. Would it fit under the bonnet if it was vertical? I think I have removed the rubber mounts from the earlier version of those pumps before then put them back slightly rotated so the pump was mounted the right way up so if yours will fit under the bonnet that way it might be an option.

That strut brace could be upside down, I seem to remember them going down rather than up?

Good work on those brake lines, very tidy!

barneys66

The fluid level shown is as taken off the donor, plus I assume I can put even more in there, or will surging overflow through the cap..?

I don't think it will fit under the bonnet if vertical, that said I could try mounting it further back - it just seemed to sit there quite well. How do you find the noise without the rubber mounts? My fabrication skills are limited, so was going down the easy path.

As for the strut brace I thought I was going mad when I uploaded the pic as I could have sworn I'd fitted it dip down, but believe it or not it is - just an optical illusion here!

jackherer

The fluid expands as it warms up so you need to leave some clearance, most PAS reservoirs have two maximum level lines for hot or cold fluid.

I haven't run one without the rubber mounts, I put them back in a different position so the cutouts let it sit level in the bracket, it would be bloody loud without them!

That strut brace pic is more of an illusion than that photo of a wall that has been doing the rounds today :lol:

barneys66

Thanks JH - I must admit to giving up at the first hurdle with the bands, but yesterday finished the mounting bracket and played around with angles.

Seems the pump will fit verticality, even though it fouls the bonnet soundproofing. No biggie. Have ordered some Clic pliers as couldn't reconnect them for love nor money!

Right - challenge for all; subframe is in and I'm about to drop the engine and box back in, but have these mystery leftovers and damned if I can remember where they go!?! Any suggestions please..?

DSC_1168_zpsujj0csze.jpg

Anthony

The two spacers look like the ones that go sort of inside the subframe that the steering rack bolts then go through.

barneys66

The two spacers look like the ones that go sort of inside the subframe that the steering rack bolts then go through.

Arghh - you're right! Thanks Anthony.

Bugger.

welshpug

pas reservoir bracket.

barneys66

Thanks Mei - that's an easy one then thankfully (I use reservoir as a breather).

Will put that on next weekend's pile..

Rack spacers refitted.

Cheers

barneys66

Finished the day looking like this. Don't like the gearbox brightness but too late now.

Bit of a frustrating day really, all of my own making. Thought I was being clever by leaving various ancillaries off the engine before refitting, only to find that the alternator bolt won't fit so the bracket for that had to come off (no biggie) but worst of all I left the dipstick tube off so now I have to take off the flippin exhaust manifold in order to refit.

Oh well. Deadlines looming large - autosolo on 05/06 which I'll definitely miss, but have also offered to have the car on the West Suffolk Motor Club promo stand at the Cars on the Green show in Bury on 19/06.

Here's hoping everything else goes smoothly; as you can see I'm skirting around the wiring..

DSC_1169_zpse1qfcvxh.jpg

JamPug

Very nice !!

Edited by JamPug

barneys66

Looking good

Thanks! Photos are a bit flattering, but it's for go not show so as long as it's clean that's fine by me.

barneys66

Very nice !!

Thanks James, and you were right by the way ;):)

barneys66

Frustrating day - more modifications, fixes, bewilderment, etc. Edging ever closer though.

Saxo pump mounting finalised..

DSC_1191_zpsdevz7thc.jpg

And a general shot of various bits and pieces, including the remote oil filter / heat exchanger, oil breather mods, lights back on and aligned, lots of wiring sorted / repaired / spiwrapped / re-terminal, etc, etc.

Carbs only resting on so I could assess room for oil filler.

DSC_1187_zpsjbraceyy.jpg