• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
griffo

Gti Vin Decoding

Slo

Great to see them on the lines, never seen any 205 production photos before

Alastairh

I tried this last night and worked fine for my GTI. Great work.

Great pictures.

barneys66

Hi Mei, thanks for the feedback.

From looking at the two French references on this matter (as noted on the bottom of the VIN page), I might have expected that the this car would have had an 'H' instead of an '0'. The VIS also corresponds with the 1987 'vintage'.

My statement of '0' denoting 1988 was based on the Phase 1 Australian vehicles which were all built from late Jun 87 and had a VIN of VF3741C860xxxxxxx. I would have thought PSA might have adopted 'J' to signify 1988 Phase 1 vehicles until the Phase 1.5 20CDxx vehicles came into production, but they obviously didn't.

So the $64 question, what other Phase 1 vehicles had a '0' as the first character of the VIS? Is there some underlying logic :unsure:

Me! Mine was first registered on 07/04/1987 and carries the VIN VF3741C8607765***

Let me know if I can help with any more info - great work so far !!

griffo

Hi "Barney",

yes it seems that maybe the 'H' for 1987 vehicles was not completely correct... the two official published reference appear to contradict themselves, but I would need to see VINs from French GTi's to make that call.

Here's a composite of the information from 'La Guide de la 205' and 'Peugeot 205 Identifier une 205'... and some of my noodlings.

Vintage%20VIS.png

* The actual transition date/VIS from Phase 1 to Phase 1.5 is a bit undefined atm. A friend has a late Phase 1 AU GTi with a PSA Build date of Oct 87 (this date is stamped on the PSA build plate on the firewall as required by AU regs).

So at the moment it seems that 1987 and 1988 vintage Phase 1 vehicles, at least in UK and AU, have '0' as the first character of the VIS.

I'd be interested to hear from any owners of earlier '84, '85, '86 UK 205's (doesn't actually have to a GTi) to confirm the situation.

Edited by griffo

Henry Yorke

OK, according to '205 GTi - Enthusiasts Companion', it appears that the bodies where built up/painted/trimmed in the Pinninfarini Grugliasco factory in Italy and then shipped to Mulhouse, and I believe later Sochaux, for final assembly with all the mechanicals.

As far as the VINs are concerned, from what I can see, the CTi VIS numbers are pretty much in line with the regular 205 numbers which suggests the VINs were allocated on the French production lines. The VINs are stamped on the chassis post painting and Pininfarina added their own serial numbers on welded tags.

http://www.dethomaso.fr/article-identifier-sa-205gti-114027761.html

I've only personally looked at one CTi, a Phase 1.5 Japanese import, and the Peugeot Automobiles build plate and VIN stamping were in the usual location. Phase 1 cars may be different.

A good link that, though the CTI data doesn't map the Pininfarina tags to the year. Even the example shown on the page is not in the list below it. My CTI chassis number is one of the last right hand drive ones and my boot tag is 004508 and chassis is VF320DDF225124***, so I would expect it to be in "018 052 CTI 07jul92" or "019 039 CTI Mai93"

You've got the details of my 1FM already by sounds of things! However it puts it as 1994 when it was registered in 1992, so I am assuming it was built before (though it does funny things at 88mph!!)

bttp078.jpg

griffo

A good link that, though the CTI data doesn't map the Pininfarina tags to the year. Even the example shown on the page is not in the list below it. My CTI chassis number is one of the last right hand drive ones and my boot tag is 004508 and chassis is VF320DDF225124***, so I would expect it to be in "018 052 CTI 07jul92" or "019 039 CTI Mai93"

You've got the details of my 1FM already by sounds of things! However it puts it as 1994 when it was registered in 1992, so I am assuming it was built before (though it does funny things at 88mph!!)

Henry, based on the partial VIN of your Cabrio I would put it at a (late) Nov '92 build, but there is some variability of the build dates of Cabrio's compared to regular 205s of similar VIN.

Not sure what you are saying about your 1FM. The 17 VINs I do have have 'Assembly Entry Dates' (AED) between 22/07/92 and 08/09/92 and these would be classified as 1993 vintage according to PSA. Although the cross-over dates for vintages is notionally 01-Jul, vehicles with AEDs from late Jun are often in the following vintage. I wouldn't sweat on the AED though.

I have updates the VIN page http://www.205gti.info/vin/vin.htm to include the VIS number/vintage change points I mentioned in a previous post and have revised down the starting point for Phase 1.5s to 01088001.

Still keen to hear from owners of early Phase 1 GTi's regarding their VIS numbers... whether they have letters or a '0'.

Cheers

griffo

Thanks for that link imaS.

It pretty much confirms that for the vehicles after the 86 vintage, that 0 was used instead of H at least for the UK (and AU and some other countries) vehicles.

There was some other nuggets buried in the document as well, so thanks again.

griffo

Ok, I have a few questions that you may be able to help me with.

The first one is a UK specific one. I am trying to identify an 'option' for the AM93 vintage (K Reg) GTi's which has only appeared on UK vehicles. I don't have any data of UK AM94 (if there were any) vehicles, so I can't confirm is this continued beyond AM93 but I suspect it would.

I am thinking this might me the 'immoboliser' but I don't know if this was unique to the UK. If not, any other thoughts on a UK specific option around this time.

Secondly, I am interested in hearing from anyone who has the full cloth Quattro/Ramier interior of the Phase 1.5 1.9 GTi... this is one of the few trim codes I have yet to confirm.

Finally, and this is a long shot, anyone with a very early Phase 1.5 GTi, 1.6 or 1.9... probably with a VIS below 01091800 (ie: VIN = 20CB6201091800 or 20CD6201091800).

Cheers

griffo