• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kachel

1.9 D6B Camshaft On A 1.6 B6D Head?

kachel

Is it possible to use the 1.9 d6b camshaft on the 1.6 b6d head?

welshpug

yes but you wouldn't want to, the 1.9 cam is milder than a 1.6, it'll make it quite a flat boring delivery, no idea on specific power output but it was very slow when I had a ride in one such vehicle.

kachel

Wow, i didn't expect that. I Always assumed that de 1.9 D6B cam would be the 'wildest' standard 205 GTI cam. So because the DKZ cam is even milder than the D6B cam we can state that the 1.6 b6d cam is the wildest standard 205 GTI cam?

I have a 1.9 clinder head ready (new valves, seals and seats) I want to place this head on my 1.6 b6d engine because the heads are the same, only the cam is different, correct?

So the choice to make is if i keep using the Original b6d cam or buy a new wilder cat cam.

Are the timing belt, waterpump, headbolts, head gasket all the same for the 1.6 b6d and 1.9 d6b?

thanks a lot!

welshpug

yeah, the 1600 cam is wilder to suit the shorter stroke and higher rpm.

of the same age yes the parts are the same, very much later 1.9's have different water pumps and timing covers and tensioner and longer belt.

kachel

Thanks a lot Welshpug!

Just out curiousity, what would happen with a 1.6 b6d cam on a 1.9 d6b engine?

Telf

glad I read this post - didn't know that about the 1.6/1.9 cam - cheers Mei!

205tunerke

the B6D is the wildest stock cam. the duration is the same on 1.6 115bhp and all 1.9 engines.

however the 1.6 has 2MM more lift then the 1.9 engine's.

if you put the 1.6 cam in 1.9 it should run way better, less breathing restriction, however i imagen you could get clearence issues between pistons and valves(alltough i never tried it).

pug_ham

Just out curiousity, what would happen with a 1.6 b6d cam on a 1.9 d6b engine?

The 1.6 GTI engine looses all its fizz, feels a lot flatter & less responsive taking all the fun out of the engine imo.

g

petert

however the 1.6 has 2MM more lift then the 1.9 engine's.

Are you suggesting the 1.6 has 13.3mm of lift compared to 11.3mm for the 1.9?

wicked

I think he is, but according to my info, that is not correct. It has only 0.2mm more lift. Most diff is in the lobe centre angles (compared to D6B cam).

petert

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Both D6B and DKZ have 11.3mm of lift on the inlet.

205tunerke

difference in duration is only 4'...

petert

4 minutes? I think you meant 4.5 degrees. What you don't know is at what valve lift those measurements are taken. Thus they're totally meaningless, other than you can calculate the lobe centre lines, which tells more of a story to the characteristics of each.

j_turnell

Having fitted a 1.9 cam in a 1.6 I wouldn't Reccomend it. Car felt very flat, lost the revvy nature of the 1600.

• Like 1