• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

Tu Engine Model

Telf

Hi all,

So off the back of buying project Ratbag (the 1.4 GR in the projects section) I've realised I know zip all about TU engines!

I mean I don't even know how the carb works. I'm wondering having read through the Haynes TU section which engine it has fitted - is there any easy way to tell? It mentions 3 types in the initial blurp at the start.

After I sort the hole in the wing I'm intending to get it MOT'd and on the road in a limited capacity so will obviously service it- is there any thing else can be done engine wise without much hassle - some guys at work think I should remove and service the carb.

The engine appears to have been looked after to some extent - oil is relatively clean, it has proper coolant in it rather than dirty brown water, dizzy and leads are new so at this point I don't want to go too mad doing anything. I did notice the sparks are extremely black with quite heavy deposits on them. As I was servicing my GTI I replaced them with my 4 pole sparks to see how they go.

Any help or tips would be great

Cheers

Paul

Andy M

Hi Paul

i dont know how much help i can be but off the top of my head this is what i can tell you.

It being a 1.4 means it will be of the TU3 family i.e. TU3S, TU3A etc. To work out which engine you have, on most of the TU engines, there is a small tab on the front of the block (flywheel end), near/on the gearbox bell housing, stating another code, usually something like K2A, K1G etc. These correspond to the tune, cam profile, valve sizes, injection system and a number of other things which differ between each engine. From this, you should be able to work out which TU3 engine you have.

hope this helps you on your road to getting it MOT'd

Telf

Hi Andy

Well when the rain stops I'm going to have another look for the engine ID plate- maybe its fallen off or is just covered in oil and grime