• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
e8_pack

Need Help, Hinckley

e8_pack

Anyone close by with parts? Have a niggling misfire, I've changed plugs, cap, rota, checked AFM, sure filter. Still got it.

Might get expensive before I find it so was hoping someone close by with one running right can swap some bits over until we find it.

Coil, alternator, etc..

parv121

hi,

has the problem just started?

when can you feel/hear the probelm?

whats happening with th revs? on idel do run go slightly up and down or bounce?

regards

parv,

e8_pack

Seems to be midrange. WOT is OK, if I advance the dizzy it becomes more pronounced. Tickover not bad, dies just as you set off for a split second. Traffic is horrendous, kangarooing all over the place, really hard to drive.

Changed fuel filter also.

Alan77

ECU temp sensor? They're only a tenner and a new one can make a massive difference...

Ryan

Check the bolt holding the oil filler tube to the inlet manifold isn't missing. The hole is drilled all the way through, so if the bolt is missing then it leaves a hole in the inlet which will let in un-metered air and cause it to run badly.

parv121

your 205 was running fine before and this seems like a gradually worsening problem.

i had suffered from this in the past.

bolts cannot suddenly fall out,

Ur problem is either fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.

to me sounds like fuel pump. beware fuel pump will still work. U will still hear the fuel pump pumping. but this fuel pumps still can work/operate even if not at 100%.

I bet you struggle when u put your foot down. It doesnt want to go but as soon as you past a certain point the car moves better and responds.

If its the fuel pump then whats happening is it struggling under load.

Problem is with fuel pumps is online most of then are not 100% functioning correct. only way to tell is to plug and drive.

if you find your revs are bouncing or moving on idel ever ceratin amount of seconds then thats the fuel pressure regulator.

regards,

parvesh

e8_pack

If I put my foot down it's fine. No stuttering. But cruising or following a car is like riding a kangaroo.

Can't be ignition amp or coil, surely it would be same at WOT. Thinking AFM, but don't want to fork out so much to find it's not it.

e8_pack

Will check oil filler, good shout as I've just got a new tube as the old one was bodged with straight silicone and connectors

parv121

Sorry mate I may have jumped the gun.

Can you confirm if it was running good previously.

AFM don't generally go wrong as many time as people think. More to do with people messing around and not knowing how to set them up.

Stuttering and kangarooing is normally ask ways to do with fuel starvation.

Stick to fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator mate. Coil, ign amp and stuff like that won't be ur problem.

Good luck,

Parvesh.

Shame ur up in Leeds otherwise I would hook you ECU up to my machine while car is running and it will tell us where you have the problem.

Juttie205

Have you changed leads incase they are breaking down at certain revs?

e8_pack

I'm in Hinckley Leicestershire. Leeds is my old address! Where are you?

Changed ht leads, and king lead

parv121

I'm in west London mate,

We are miles a and miles apart.

Big up tony yeboah,,

• Like 1

parv121

It won't be anything like leads etc.....

It sounds like something to do with fuel. The fuel line on a 205 includes the following parts,

Fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, fuel pressure regulator. That's it.

My money's on your fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.

I would go first with fuel pressure regulator,. Just go and by a new one.

Regards ,

Parvesh

e8_pack

I can see the fpr on the rail, I've got one I can swap it with to check, will do that tomorrow.

Edited by e8_pack

parv121

Yeah you can change it but you need to be sure that is working 100% too.

The only way Is to connect it to a foot pump and see if it holds the pressure of the bar rating.

Mine needed changing 2 weeks ago. Car would bounce on idel very slightly. Stall when I pull away etc. wasn't holding fuel pressure. Which mean injectors can't function properly.

Also you can check fuel pump by unscrewing the fuel hose that connects to the top of fuel rail. Put the hose in an empty water bottle nod then get someone to crank, turn the engine over. Check how the fuel is coming out. It should be a constant flow. If not and if it's stop start or in short bursts then your fuel pumps on its way out.

Regards

Telf

I will throw my 2 pence in - When I've had kangarooing issues - once it was the rotor arm on the dizzy -arcing damage - and an easy check

also a split breather pipe - odd as that may seem

parv121

Let us all know how you get on mate,,

Telf,,,,, nice car.

e8_pack

Problem is better when it's cold. As in no stuttering

hcmini1989

Do you own a multimeter? if so id test ecu temp sensor ,Allso I would get a can of carb cleaner or similar and spray it around inlet manifold gasket see if it you notice in change in engine tone (revs up etc) if it does id start by changing the gasket if not then move on to check for other air leaks splits in vac pipes etc etc.

Tom Fenton

It won't be anything like leads etc.....

It sounds like something to do with fuel. The fuel line on a 205 includes the following parts,

Fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, fuel pressure regulator. That's it.

My money's on your fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.

I would go first with fuel pressure regulator,. Just go and by a new one.

Regards ,

Parvesh

Sorry but I do not agree with any of this. Ignition components are well known to fail on 205's, ignition amps are often a prime suspect.

If the problem is fuel then swapping a fuel regulator just on spec could be a waste of time and money. A better suggestion is to check the fuel pressure both static and under load, at full throttle there is very little vacuum reference and so there should be 3bar at the rail. If this tails off at higher revs it points to a tired fuel pump. Testing is pretty easy only need an adaptor and gauge, I can fit my test kit in about 10 mins, it replaces the top banjo of the fuel filter.

D691EE7A-608E-458E-8825-F55DFB11EE3E_zps

Alastairh

I have a couple of ignition amps, fuel regulator, 1.6 afm, maybe a distributor and coil depending on age, in Kettering Northants that your welcome to try if your down my way.

I agree with Tom, ignition related issue for me.

Al

e8_pack

Replaced AFM, now runs like a Swiss watch!

e8_pack

Oh, and vacuum broke apart when I checked it so could have been that, but either way it's fixed! Happy days.

Was a member on here in Nottingham I found on eBay, great bloke. Let me try it first and we checked it out and found the vacuum pipe too so alls good!

• Like 1

e8_pack

Vacuum pipe that is from advance on dizzy.