• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Valve Stem Seals Without Taking The Head Off

christopher

Changing stem seals without taking the head off. How easy is it? Experiences?

My mum 205 is blue smoking a lot, not just on idle but when I drive behind him too. The MOT guy said he would fail him next time.

So we think to maybe change the stem seals.

We had this done on another 205 by a peugeot mechanic, it took him less than an hour!

I found this guide, but not sure about some parts of it. Talks about a jig to compress the valves. I don't think the mechanic used that..

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=136218

My dad wants me to fix it for him when I come and see him for a couple of days...

Cheers

welshpug

which engine?

christopher

which engine?

Sorry I should have said...

205 GTi 1.9 1992

I saw a video

on you-tube using this tool to remove and replace the collets..

https://store.snapon.com/Valve-Keeper-Tools-Remover-Installer-Metric-Valve-Keeper-P645403.aspx

Wondering if that will work

Edited by christopher

scbond

Video above does work where the basics are concerned. His valve springs are obviously much softer than on the XU. I managed using a large socket, a large extension into that which had a hole through it and then a bar through the hole. Used a hammer to remove the collets and had to press very hard to get them back in...there was a knack to it, basically pushing down on one side to secure one collet and then rocking to the other side to secure the over. Had to be quite firm though and it took a lot of attempts.

Lot easier with the right tool but can be done without. A jig with spring compressor will make it easier but it was alright without. I did buy a valve stem removal tool and it was garbage.

I also followed the guide you linked to from here but removed some steps and altered others.

I will say that an hour to do the valve spring seals sounds like BS to me...either the mechanic lied or he didn't do them. Even with a full set of garage tools and knowing what to do I'd still struggle to get it done that quickly.

calvinhorse

Holy s*it! I've never seen it done like that before! Or at all for that matter!

Bloody amazing tool :)

Edited by calvinhorse

allanallen

Makes that look easy!!

Did I hear him right... 600hp on 15psi?!?! Really?!

calvinhorse

I don't think gti6 valves would like that technique

christopher

I will say that an hour to do the valve spring seals sounds like BS to me...either the mechanic lied or he didn't do them. Even with a full set of garage tools and knowing what to do I'd still struggle to get it done that quickly.

Actually I was around when he did it, he was an off duty pug mechanic. Unfortunately now moved to cornwall now. He really changed the seals and the cambelt in around an hour.

I didn't look too closely at the details of how.

welshpug

I don't think gti6 valves would like that technique

Don't think it matters which valves, but I doubt you'll ever manage to unseat the collets with those double springs they have!

welshpug

Makes that look easy!!

Did I hear him right... 600hp on 15psi?!?! Really?!

If its a big turbo and he can spin it up well enough he doesn't need 30 psi ;) you should see what Litchfields get out of the GTR's on 2/3rds that, but two turbo's and 3.7's :D

lemmingzappa

I have one of those tools and it was perfect for removal, but not re-fitting as it was slightly too large. Be sure you get the correct size if and when purchasing.