• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Xud Intercooler/radiator Options

johnnyboy666

Hello,

I'm preparing to drop a 1.9td engine into my XRAD, which currently has the non-turbo 1.8d. I'm doing away with the top-mount intercooler and going with a front mount, but I'm a bit unsure on the best way to do it.

A while back I bought a sierra cosworth 4x4 intercooler which I thought would be ideal, but after offering it up, it occurred to me that the inlet and outlet point backwards, straight into where the radiator is.

I cant fit it below the radiator as it would be too low down, so I need to think of another plan. The options I've come up with are:

1. Lower the standard radiator and fit cosworth intercooler above behind grill. Not sure how much airflow there is here? And it seems like the rad would be pretty low. (some of the roads are pretty rough round here)

2. Use a shorter but thicker radiator (and upgraded twin fans) I've found a rad thats 690mm wide x 210mm tall x 60mm wide. That would let me fit the cosworth IC underneath and not have it hanging too low

3. Ditch the cosworth IC, and use a universal one with side inlets/outlets, and send the hoses through the front panel, and mount it in front of the radiator, behind the valance

4. Use a rad thats narrower, but the same height, and mount the intercooler vertically next to it

This was meant to be a budget build, but I'd be looking at £120+ for the new rad, or maybe £80+ for the new intercooler. I've gone through several hundred pages of parts lists for radiators to try and find a shorter one, but all I cant come up with is motorbike ones!

I was planing on using a decent sized oil cooler setup up with this engine also, to keep oil temps reasonable, so that's got to squeeze in somewhere too.

Any thoughts?

boldy205

Quite a few people drop the rad and use a 2wd cossie IC above the rad ( behind grille).

I have dropped my rad down, put an IC in front of it and a oil cooler on top of that. Unsure if cooling yet as still not ran it.

mikeyd

apart from clearance will you gain much from moving the intercooler esp if its a budget build? think tom williams from taunton had a 205 with 306 td lump in it but iirc he used the standard 306 setup

johnnyboy666

Boldy, I'm just a bit concerned about having things hanging that far down, I'd prefer it if things were tucked a bit higher up

MikeyD, as I understand it, the top mount IC in a 306 gets airflow over it, but in a 205 it doesnt, so it warms the air rather than cooling. I also don't have half of the standard hose setup to use the top mount, and I'll also be running a TD04 turbo, so need the added cooling to see the benefit of that. It seems to be a bit hit-and-miss as to whether people can actually fit the top mount and still close the bonnet, some can, some cant from what I've heard

Paul_13

Have a look at my project on here.

Same td04 turbo as yours

Just can't find the pic of the rad in place

johnnyboy666

Just read your thread from start to finish, a thoroughly inspiring read! I'll no doubt be using that for a bit of a reference point when I start doing mine. The only difference with my turbo is the previous owner has welded the wastegate shut, seems quite a common thing to do on 306's, not sure how that'll effect things in the long run though

Paul_13

Your boost will be controlled by how much fuel you're injecting.

From memory people were getting around 30/35 psi. 30 psi is what I'm running

• Like 1

Uberderv

I lowered the rad (TD) by removing the lower cross member and building a 1" angle frame for the rad to sit on/tilt. This leaves enough space to fit an E39 intercooler above it which is the perfect size in my opinion.

20140407_094736_zpsf3oa8bfl.jpg

• Like 1