• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Plumbob

Rev Counter / Reverse Light Fuse

Plumbob

Having a spot of bother with the above on my car. I've had it on he road since February and it's been fine until about 6 weeks ago.

Was driving along one day and the Rev counter & clock illumination went out. Fuse #1 was blown so I swapped the blown 10A for a 5A as I didn't have a 10A to hand and carried on. Everything was fine again and I put it down to being "one of those things". Two weeks ago same thing, the 5A blew...

This time I had a 10A so I put that in and it blew within about 5 minutes. Since then I've blown more than I care to mention....

So far I've done the following...

Suspected a chaffing reverse light wire was blowing the fuse so I've been all over the rear lights, and reverse light switch and can't find anything bad.

Double checked I've not done anything daft like wiring the Lambda through the same fuse (I've not)

Pulled open the black wiring tube stuff in the engine bay, spread all the wires and can't see anything bad.

Unplugged the reverse light plug from the gearbox and also unplugged the reverse light wiring from the back of the passenger side lamp unit.. Went out for a drive and the bloody fuse blew within 20 yards of my house. Changed it again and it was fine for about 20 minutes, then it blew again! Grrrrrr :-)

The car is a J reg phase 2 with a GTI-6 conversion, can't find any info that says that the clock illumination should be going through fuse #1 so maybe that's a clue that something isn't right..

Last thing I've done is sat with the engine running on the drive with everything electrical on and the engine running, fuse was fine so I'm now fairly certain it's related to going over bumps...

Any of you lads had experience of any "pinch points" in either the reverse light circuit or Rev counter which could be causing this? Or ever had a Spoox Rev counter adaptor cause you any trouble (was already in the loom when I bought the engine).

Thanks for reading!