• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johniban

Gear Linkage Problems...

johniban

Hi i have the gti6 lump in my 205 gti.

Having trouble with the gearlinkages.. i have the adjustable ones from pugracing, havn't touched the adjusters, just put them on as they came, although i purchased a long time ago..

The gear stick is pretty much stuck where it is in the middle, if i loosen off the 13mm nut on the inside of the subframe under the car so the linkage wobbles about i can select gears ok just with alot of movement obviously,

any ideas?

welshpug

sounds like a seized balljoint which I haven't come across myself but entirely feasible, tighten the 13mm nut up, pull the R clip and pop it off, grease it up and you should be good to go.

johniban

Ive tried pulling the rclip out already its jammed solid, ill have to have another go on it

dobboy

I made a clip i had missing from a decent sized paper clip, seems to work ok.

johniban

I need to pull it apart i think and see whats going on

johniban

Right just been to have a look at it, with the 13mm but tightened basically the gear stick sits over to the left and the only gears I can get is 5th and reverse! So obviously an adjustment issue

dobboy

I can measure mine if you like

johniban

I think i just need to get someone to hold the gear stick in the middle and put the box into neutral and adjust from there, can see the point in all the adjustments

dobboy

282mm, 120mm, centre to centre of the cap things.

Car's not high enough at the minute to measure the big one.

johniban

have tried adjusting it, the adjustable small rod doesnt have enough adjustment in it, so i think im going to bin them and just get some standard ones

welshpug

shouldn't need to do that.

has it ever been on the road?

Miles

As above the rods could be a mile out and all gears will be selectable, they only position the gearlever

johniban

I can select gears ok, but 5th and reverse is where 3rd and 4th should be so, everything is over to the left, ive even tried changing to the next whole on the subframe, but then everything is too far over to the right instead

johniban

There is 3 holes in the subframe, ive bolted the linkage L shape thing in the middle hole as thats where it looked like it came out off, its just like the smaller rod needs to be about 10mm longer

welshpug

my guess is that the selector isnt engaged properly after you swapped the top arm.

welshpug

on the gearbox.

dobboy

What gearbox is it BE1 or BE3 or VTS etc? And did you change anything on it ?

The linkage lengths i gave you previously have suited two separate 205's.

johniban

Hi Jack,

I have the xsara vts engine and gearbox and i have changed the gear selector arm to the 205 one

my guess is that the selector isnt engaged properly after you swapped the top arm.

It only goes on one way if i remember right as it has a pin going through it?

welshpug

the bit inside I mean, if it drops down when you're trying to swap the arm it can get misaligned with the shaft as you lift it back up.

dobboy

John, i think maybe what's happened is what WP is saying.

You have to be vigilant to not let it happen when changing the arms.

I'm sure there's a thread on here of how to fix it using a magnet...... If you search for VTS boxes, i might even have had a thread on it too as i was unsure wtf i was doing.

johniban

Ah i see!,

Im not sure now as it was a long time ago

johniban

I think you two have solved my issue hopefully !

Ill have to rush down to the garage and have a look, is it easy to bash the pin back out with it being in the car? my garage is about 2 miles from home so i cant just pop out and have a quick look :(

i guess i need a pretty strong magnet to drop the shaft down and turn it a bit

woodymi16

I had a similar problem and knocking the pins out wasn't to difficult. I didn't need a magnet just put a punch through the pin hole eased the shaft down and got it relocated and reassembled.

I think the shaft should spring back to centre if you move it in both directions I noticed mine was wrong when it would only move in one direction.

dobboy

John, i'm saying magnet but best asking WP/Anthony to advise you exactly what you need to do.