• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

chrisj21

1990 Rebuild/restoration.

chrisj21

Hi guys!

Been away from 205's for a while and have jumped back in at the deep end and bought Stu's old rolling shell.

I bought it just from the advert in the for sale section, it was actually much better than I expected when it arrived.

A few pictures from the advert.

b16b680f2547b661799040f51c7ffb2a.jpg

028762c6ac882c503ed81290e94c50d8.jpg

5b3249abee9e945458fbcfd02b02ddce.jpg

Obviously missing a few parts, I've sourced doors and a boot, just need two front wings if anyone can help?

Saturday was the first day I got to have a proper look around and do some work, there's the usual rust on the inner wings, drivers side will need some new metal but the passenger is just surface rust.

875269fc5a3cfb869d8eb1df7e1ac388.jpg

90c0ca124d6c36eca1911bdea2bf5d9e.jpg

Stripped down the engine bay, removed the wiring back through the bulkhead ready for removal, took care to remove any clips/brackets and removed any remaining bolts.

Gave it a quick wash down to remove any thick oil and grease ready for rust treatment and paint preparation.

chrisj21

bade7fe6971576cc52cde0b247eaa267.jpg

I've now started to rub down and sort any surface rust out around the front end before sorting out the inner wings and preparing for primer.

Also removed the wiring loom after fighting with a Clifford alarm which has been horrendously installed in the past, the wiring loom will need a bit of work to make good.

Should get some time tomorrow to continue with the sanding down and looking at this inner wing.

One last thing I did was remove those fantastic rear lights and throw them in the bin.

Edited by chrisj21

Stu

Hi Chris, glad to see you've started the project! I'll be following this for sure, all the best with it mate, it's a great basis for a rebuild, one of the tidiest shells I've seen in a long time.

So glad you've binned those rear lights too!

aldworth33

Glad someone bought that shell I thought it was for the scrap it was for sale that long

artois7

it's a great basis for a rebuild, one of the tidiest shells I've seen in a long time.

Yeah? I didn't realise non-rusty 205 shells had become that rare.

Best of luck with the project - glad it wasn't scrapped.

chrisj21

Hi Chris, glad to see you've started the project! I'll be following this for sure, all the best with it mate, it's a great basis for a rebuild, one of the tidiest shells I've seen in a long time.

So glad you've binned those rear lights too!

Hi Stu. Those rear lights were pretty hideous, I actually spotted some for sale on eBay a few days ago for £100, madness!

Glad someone bought that shell I thought it was for the scrap it was for sale that long

Thanks! Would of been a shame to scrap it.

Yeah? I didn't realise non-rusty 205 shells had become that rare.

Best of luck with the project - glad it wasn't scrapped.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting her going.

chrisj21

Not much to report but did get a chance yesterday evening to carry on with the engine bay tidy up.

Got the drivers side headlamp panel de rusted and primed.

Rust treatment on

64aecfdba1279ae88b5ee2cded2d56c9.jpg

Primed with etch primer

a6336701a6bd36805884e31bf7ab26a1.jpg

Managed to source a few parts, wiper motor and linkages, trim set, rear window seals, door cards.

Still need to collect the doors and boot this week and get the rest of the bay tidied up and primed.

Been having a think about the colour too, I've always said my next 205 would have been alpine or Miami, I prefer the phase 2 Miami colour as opposed to the LE 1990 and with this being a 90 I think that rules Miami out, so it's either keep her Silver or go for alpine.

chrisj21

Thread resurrection!

Having spent the second half of last gathering parts for the 205 project I'm ready to get this back on the road this year.

I ended up buying AdamF crashed 205 for a parts donar, I actually considered fixing it but it turned out to be too badly twisted so I've stripped it of parts including a gti6 engine and I'm using this to build up my 90.

Front wings have been bonded and fitted on, I've trial fitted the interior in to find out what clips/screws etc I'm missing.

Next plan is to get the bay fully prepped for paint and get the engine installed.

I'm struggling a bit with finding the correct paint code/ mix for the car, I've decided to keep it silver, I got a can of Quartz mixed as a tester but it doesn't seem quite right, can anyone shed light on the correct paint code for a 90 in silver?

I'll update with pictures of current progress at the weekend when light allows.

dobboy

I previously posted a PPG paint code book in the paint code section, it should be in that i would think.