• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

Roof Rusting From Inside Out.

Daviewonder

Hey All

My 1.9 Sorrento has rust bubbles appearing under the paint on the sides of the roof. I prodded one with a key and the key went through. It appears that my roof is rusting from the inside outwards on the rounded sections at the sides of the roof (Just above where the seam sealer fills the gap).

Anyone had this on theirs? It's gotta be pretty bad, I'm guessing a roof swap is in order??

Help, I'm scared :(

farmer

Help am scared :lol:

Anthony

I've seen a few 205's with pretty bad grot up there. I assume it is moisture getting in through the cracked sealant and rusting from the inside out.

If you do a search I know that Jackherer has some experience with this, and from what I remember, he found that most 205 shells were suffering the same issue when he chopped that section out of a few cars in the scrapyard that looks OK from the outside :(

The lesson here of course is not to prod rust bubbles in the first place.... :lol:

jackherer

I started to type a post describing my experience last night along with some photos but it was so negative I deleted it in the hope someone would post something constructive...

tartanbloke

It could be worse..........you could have an old mini or any BL product that would rot within the first six months.

There you go, something constructive.

• Like 1

Leon

Anyone need a nice solid-non sunroof roof? :P

Slo

dig out all the sealant then fill it in with a nice big fat weld then flap disc it back down best you can

hoodygoodwood

I think this is more common than you would think , there is very little paint or protection for the steel on the inside of the roof and any water leaks from the sunroof or aerial mount will drip into the area sealed by the roof lining and take an age to dry out . While doing my sunroof drain repairs ( replaced with stainless tube ) I noticed how bad the paint coverage was and rubbed down the beginnings of surface rust , dried it all out then gave it a couple of coats of paint before refitting the roof lining .

I will now check any 205/309 that I own for this problem .

m@ttc

ive just stripped a sunroof model and the drains from the sun roof goes past this part, if the seam sealer externally is ok this may be the problem. Any rusty area inside out is better to cut out and weld in new metal, it just so happens i might have this section coming up for sale soon if shell dont sell as one :D

i had a none sunroof model outside for a couple of years with the external sealant missing and it never started to rot here.

Edited by m@ttc

rikky

Any photos of said area? My nonsunny seemed ok, had a tiny cracking of paint almost directly above the B pillar where it joins the roof. Bodyshop said they can sort

Probably just tippex over it and that'll be that :lol:

jackherer

post-3-0-82973600-1433426025_thumb.jpg

If you can see any rust on the outside at all you will find a real mess inside which is where it starts.

post-3-0-68867600-1433426154_thumb.jpg

ALEX

Time to invest in a mig welder and a few evenings learning how to use it. What's the worst that could happen??

Daviewonder

attachicon.gifrusty pug roof.jpg

If you can see any rust on the outside at all you will find a real mess inside which is where it starts.

Yeah that's it :(

rikky

ive just stripped a sunroof model and the drains from the sun roof goes past this part, if the seam sealer externally is ok this may be the problem. Any rusty area inside out is better to cut out and weld in new metal, it just so happens i might have this section coming up for sale soon if shell dont sell as one :D

i had a none sunroof model outside for a couple of years with the external sealant missing and it never started to rot here.

So we're going with non-sunroof ones being much better / unaffected?

hoodygoodwood

Its not just leaks that cause this problem , I would think that condensation could be as much a cause .

m@ttc

Its not just leaks that cause this problem , I would think that condensation could be as much a cause .

Really wouldn't that mean the whole shell would rot?

I dove mine for a good 10 years having to scrape the condensation off the inside windows. The only inside rot it got was the rear quarter drain holes, as there blocked from factory and leaking quarter badges and leaking windows rot them often noticeable buy rot half way down the sill. front floor pan ontop of the exhaust as the heat breaks down the seam sealant. Also a little more unknown is the drivers side floor well, spot welds fail here. All drained water from the scuttle and sunroof hits this area. Not internal yet not really external. But water gets inside.

m@ttc

So we're going with non-sunroof ones being much better / unaffected?

I wouldn't say that with a definite answer, all I can say is is I've never seen none sunroof models have the same problems.

Yet I would question the quality of the rubber drain pipes from the sun roofs. Especially as this is the area where the pipe is horizontal maybe even a pocket for water, and roofs can get pretty hot so will the rubber?

Anthony

Non sunroof also suffer - I had one years ago in far worse state than the one pictured above.

chipstick

Digging out the sealant, surface corrosion and filling it in isn't going to end it.

Mine appears to be rusting from the inside, out also. I'm trying to leave it alone before I end up taking it all back and having a restoration on my hands. Stopping it spreading as best I can will be my aim for now.