• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Rev Range Of 306 Gti6 Lynx S/c

boldy205

I've looked at the target power of the Lynx low boost kit, which states a peak power of 7500 RPM, however the standard limit is 6500. My question is, is it generally accepted that they are okay to rev that much on standard internals?

Cheers.

allanallen

Rev limits for the gti6 are around 7500rpm and 7250rpm for later engines.

boldy205

I have the earlier engine with manual cam belt tensioner, do the later ones have have and differences apart from the cam belts?

rallyeash

Plenty of used kits up for sale on the gti6 forum right now

boldy205

I've got the kit, half way through fitting it at the moment. Just the Rev limit seemed a bit high compared to standard for the older engine, guess I'm concerned, but not concerned enough to worry about it when I'm ragging the nuts off if I expect!

allanallen

I have the earlier engine with manual cam belt tensioner, do the later ones have have and differences apart from the cam belts?

Your standard rev limit will have been 7500ish then anyway so no different ;)

boldy205

Ah I see! I have only ever driven the engine on carbs, they made peak power at 6.2k so I guess it's had an easy life, until now!

rallyeash

My head is on hydraulic lifters and revs to 7750.

I wouldn't worry about taking it to 7500-7600 atall. You'll make the power before that anyway.

boldy205

Would be interesting to see just where the peak power is once fitted, I guess each engine , even in the same standard firm might make peak at different revs, due to cooler pipework routing etc?

boldy205

I've read a fair amount on the conversion, but hadn't seen the dynamic plots. Nice to see the peak power isn't much more that 6.5K

James_K

Boldy, out of interest are you installing the supercharger kit with the engine already in the car?

I've just bought a 306gti6 with the lynx kit on it and I'm thinking of transferring it to my 205 gti6. Was wondering whether I'd need to take the engine out to get access to the pulleys etc.

dobboy

Boldy, i've been in Malcs one with a low boost Rotrex.

Your in for a pleasant surprise!

Sitting in the passengers seat feels like your getting fired out a cannon from 4k onwards. iirc the ecu remap lifts the limiter up a few hundred revs. they're gutsy on petrol btw.

dobboy

James, i think i read the other day you may need the inlet pipes of the manifold chopped a bit to be able to close your 205 bonnet.

boldy205

Yes I'm fitting the kit to the engine while its all in the car, it's tight to get the s/c mounting plate on so best to fit that to the engine mount with the mount off the car. Some people seem to manage with a 306 manifold, however I needed the 205 length one. It's not finished yet, but I'm looking forward to driving it!???? As for the fuel, it's only a toy for me so I'm not too fussed!☺

James_K

Thanks for the tips on fitting, the lack of space at the pulley side was my biggest concern. I'm aware of the need for shortening of the inlet manifold, I'd be interested in seeing how you locate the rad, oil coolers and intercooler behind the bumper, if you've got any pictures

rallyeash

Check out spikys track car thread. Had a full length mani iirc

dobboy

There's an old thread on here (silver car....first SC version iirc), and the guy shows each step. Coolers mounted behind the valance/driving lights, but iirc plates had to be put behind them as stones kept flicking up from wheels and wrecked the coolers.

I'd like to do it myself, but it's a lot of poppy..... even a DIY one is probably over £2k by the time it's done, and for me it's just for the odd blast on the road..... so can't really justify it, or can i? lol

rallyeash

Just picked up a high boost 6 for a mate. Actually part own it right now... But I'm keen to drive it. See what's what. Or even more be hunting it out on the circuit.

p1234

I just finished my high boost conversion and mapped it to 7500. There is no need to rev the nuts off of as it plenty of power low down.

The pulleys are very tight to access, I fitted the engine without the bracket and ended up having to undo the mounts and lift the engine up an inch or two to get everything tightened up properly.

boldy205

Spikey did use a full length mani I think, however not every car is the same, I definitely needed the short version.

P123 : I've been reading your build thread, must be a monster!

James, I do have a few pics, will try and upload, not sure how to! Got all of mine in behind std bumper.

p1234

First run in the car on Monday so ill let you know how it goes!

Upload your photos to Photobucket and copy and paste the link you get from them.

hatemgti

I do have 205 with high boost lynx kit since one year,the car is a scary beast.

• Like 1

jackherer

I do have 205 with high boost lynx kit since one year,the car is a scary beast.

Do you have any videos of it in action?

boldy205

Here's a few pics of my set up. As of today I have boost pipes tacked,engine oil cooler pipes routed,charger oil circuit in, still need P clipping back etc. I have hung the I/C from a piece of angle suspended from bumper brackets with engine oil cooler mounted on top of I/C .http://s977.photobucket.com/user/boldy205/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150516_172917.jpg.html?filters[user]=104925958&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

http://s977.photobucket.com/user/boldy205/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150509_164645.jpg.html?filters[user]=104925958&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s977.photobucket.com/user/boldy205/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150531_165026.jpg.html?filters[user]=104925958&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

http://s977.photobucket.com/user/boldy205/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150531_100312.jpg.html?filters[user]=104925958&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=4

Hope the links work!☺