• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
artois7

2 X 205S.. Don't Know Which One To Keep.

artois7

I've just bought Starky's phase 2 1.9 GTI on here 'cause it's got a rebuilt mi16 engine fully converted and running with new BBM hoses, 309 gti rear beam on 306 dampers, lowered B4 front suspension and running 1.9 wheels on Yokohoma tyres. Good price at £700 - has been dyno'd with proof at 165 bhp. Impressive. Sold on because the shell was "rotten" - now I've got it back (drove 200 miles with no drama at all) the rot isn't that bad, and is about 10 hours work to MOT.

I've also got my Black phase 1 205. I've had this two years and I love it to pieces - it's mostly original phase 1 with all good interior, it's got the wrong sunroof but it's mostly original. Cloth interior is in great condition. I was in the process of 'modding' it so I've put a lowered 309 beam on there (I've still got the 205 drum beam) and have just stripped the whole interior and most of the dash out to see the condition of the floor pan. It's all solid. There's only one patch of rust on the Driver's sill and that' it. The doors + tailgate have also rusted through but I have phase 2 replacements (only black parts I could get locally) waiting to go on there.

The black 205 doesn't hold coolant (think the heater matrix has gone) but the engine was strong. The clutch cable snapped due to it needing a new clutch and the exhaust has been removed (still present.)

I can't sell the black one as it is right now as without interior and a working clutch it's worth little more than rolling shell money.

I bought the red one with the plans of swapping the engine and all running gear to my black shell, on the assumption the red shell was completely scrap. It isn't.

I'm now in the position where I can continue breaking the red phase 2, keep the parts I want and make most of my money back from selling it for parts, then passing the shell on to someone else. Or, repair the red shell and take a big loss on my phase 1 as it's not worth as much not put together.

The red one has had a full respray and with a machine polish, will come up beautifully. It will require some of the paint on the rear quarter arches to be removed as I need the rust repaired - this will mean the paint match won't be exact. The black 205 has also been repainted but it's a terrible job and needs redoing.

For the record - I MUCH prefer the phase 1 dash and cloth interior over the leather interior and phase 2 dash.

So I don't know what to do - I didn't really want to modify a phase 1 gti as they're getting rarer by the day, so it made more sense to mess with a phase 2 which are still plentiful. On the other hand, my black phase 1 feels like MY 205 compared to the red one which is someone else's project.

Ahhhhhh - I don't know what to do!

I wish I had storage for both. Sorry for the long post. Not really sure why I'm posting it either as typing it out hasn't got me any closer to a decision.

A picture to make the thread worth you clicking on:

PhotoGrid_1431887149223_zpsey9ae13b.jpg

welshpug

sack off the 309 beam to a 309ist, keep the phase1 as standard as possible, fix up the red car.

eddie bullit

Keep both! ph1 standard continue to modify ph2

Best of both!

Edited by eddie bullit

artois7

Unfortunately storage is a huge issue - I rent a garage from the council where the phase 1 is kept. The phase 2 is at my girlfriend's dad and he said I can have it in his garage for a few weeks if it's being broken for spares, but after that he wants it gone.

There's an awful lot of money tied up in keeping both!

I do agree that a phase 1 should be kept original.

Edp

If I had to choose I'd keep the phase 1.

artois7

Reason?

Pugleyrich

I'd keep the black one. I've been in a similar position where my 205 (which I've had for about 7 years) has needed a lot of work. It would have been sensible to sell it on years ago and buy another 205 in better condition but I'm attached to it and don't want to sell. Sounds like you're the same.

Did you even want an MI16 in the black one before you bought the red one? I expect you'd have been happy with you're original 8v if the car was all fixed up.

If I were you I'd just get the welding done on the red one, MOT it, give it a polish and sell it for a nice profit. Then take the profit and put it into the black one.

artois7

Yes I do want the mi16 - the plan was always mi16 / sleeper the black phase 1. The plan was buy this for the engine and sell it off in bits for my money back, but it's too good to scrap. I'm a huge fan of the understated sleeper look and love the 1.6 alloys as no one ever uses them anymore.

I think the new plan is to leave the red one intact, but with a 1.9 8v and a stock exhaust. Get her mot'd and sell her. Put the mi16 and exhaust onto my phase 1.

When driving the red phase 2 back, I couldn't connect with it at all. The whole appeal of a 205 to me is simplicity - the phase 1 dash. No electric windows. No central locking. Nothing to go wrong!

Edited by artois7

Pugleyrich

Fair enough. Keep hold of the old 1.6 engine though just in case you want to swap back in the future. They aren't that easy to get hold of

artois7

I've been driving myself crazy with this over the last 24 hours - I've decided the red phase 2 is being saved regardless. It's gonna need to have a lot of paint work where the rust is stripped back, but it will be mot'd as a mi16. From there I need to work out if I can afford to insure it, and if not, it's a reasonable way to turn a £700 car into £2500.

The phase 1 will continue to sit in my garage feeling sorry for itself, but out of the rain and out of harm's way. She will live again one day.

Edp

Reason?

Good early cars will be worth good money. Prices for phase 1 cars is already going up. Looks to be in standard condition too. This is all based on a sell on theory. Like a collectors car instead of a modified motor of which there are lots around.

Leon

My first 205 GTI was a black Phase 1 so on that basis alone I'd keep that one.