• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SweetBadger

Skf Vkjc 3868 205 1.9 Gti Drive Shafts From Mister-Auto, Anyone Ordere

SweetBadger

Hi, I need to get hold of a decent N/S 205 1.9 Gti drive shaft.

I've searched previous forum posts and it looks like people have had success getting the right shaft from mister-auto: http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/drive-shaft/skf-vkjc-3868_g13_a050VKJC!3868.html

I've read that SKF shafts are usually decent quality, but the drive shaft length on the website is incorrect; 567mm vs 600mm (3.3cm too short!)

The Peugeot part numbers listed against the shaft (3272.93 - 3272.02) are correct, so I think that this might just be a mistake in the SKF catalogue that has made it's way onto the distributor websites...

Anyone ordered one of these shafts recently? If so was it the right size?

Thanks.

PhilNW

Recently bought both sides from MR Auto, not had any problems to date

• Like 1

SweetBadger

Excellent, thanks for confirming.

SweetBadger

Very frustrating update on these - the shaft I was delivered has killed two wheel bearings on the way to an MOT (15 miles). So these are definitely not a reliable source of shafts. :-(

They look ok to the eye so I thought the 1st bearing had just given up the ghost from age, but the shaft I was provided obviously doesn't allow the drive shaft to clamp up the bearing properly.

Wonder how easy it's going to be to get my money back...

Alan77

Bought a pair of non abs ones last year, had no issues at all, and definitely done more than 15 miles...

welshpug

why exactly does it not clamp the bearing and surely you would have noticed before driving?

Edited by welshpug

SweetBadger

It doesn't clamp the bearing because the tapered part of the outer CV is very slightly too large - when you tighten it up the front tapered part of the drive shaft hits the hub flange before the flat on the drive shaft properly clamps the bearing.

It doesn't show itself obviously when you bolt it up and a new wheel bearing doesn't have any play so it's not obvious.

I'm convinced this is the issue as the old bearing was fine with 2 x 309 drive shafts I had in previously, and the replacement bearing that has failed was a good quality item.

I've read posts on here of exactly the same thing happening with brand new shafts from ECP.

I'm due to replace it tomorrow with yet another new shaft and bearing - will take measurements and post back... if I'm wrong I'll eat my hat (topical)...

welshpug

strange, there shouldnt be a taper at all, just a radius.

SweetBadger

I may have not got the right terminology welshpug, but as promised measurements with pics:

New SKF outer CV - you can clearly see a line around the conical part of the outer CV which is where the drive shaft has been clamping up to the hub flange preventing the bearing from being clamped properly:

BBDE3FB7-E5F0-4F62-802D-2CBAE481FEAA.jpg

Diameter of start of conical bit from outer CV of SKF 205 shaft 42mm:

120D7066-6EE8-4B9B-863F-782722606101.jpg

Diameter of start of conical bit from outer CV from good 309 shaft (from spoox) 38mm:

6A394F52-7B26-449C-B85C-CF2A8BBB06C7.jpg
To confirm after removing the hub I put the old 309 shaft in and whizzed up the drive shaft nut with an impact wrench - the play in the new bearing disappeared. Still going to replace the bearing as don't want to take the risk of it failing after being run loose even if it was only for 30 miles or so...
Bloody pain in the arse :angry: I'll be going for a refund for the shaft, but it won't make up for the two unnecessary bearing replacements and a big fat waste of my time.
Edited by SweetBadger

welshpug

no I think you described it accurately enough, looks like a late saxo cv without looking up some pictures.

Edited by welshpug

unariciflocos

I was just about to order a pair of SKF shafts from misterauto...

welshpug

I spy a staked nut, is it 24 or 20mm threads?

SweetBadger

Indeed it is a staked nut.

Thread size/pitch is the same as the other 205 / 309 shafts as far as I can tell. Nuts were certainly interchangeable.

Alastairh

I've had the same issue in the past with my old 106 XSI. Ask for another shaft.

unariciflocos

Just ordered VKJC 4563 and VKJC 3900 yesterday, will let you know if there are issues. (I know one is ABS and one is non-ABS, but chose the cheapest for each side)

SweetBadger

Good luck, hope they work out for you; if they do I might chance the off side shaft as I'm after a decent one of those now too!

mikeyd

any news on these as also need some but would like to know if it was a one off problem or a duff batch

blandy

Just stumbled upon this thread I had exactly the same issue few months back with mine. I brought both passenger and drivers side shafts and passenger one was fine but drivers one had this exact issue.. Fortunately I didn't drive on it as noticed it wasn't right and dug out a old shaft to get going.

Consequently I'm now looking to replace it and don't want to end up with same issue.

unariciflocos

I can confirm as well. The cone of the right side long shaft is too large and basically all it's doing is tightening on the inner part of the hub, never touching the inner part of the bearing. Used an air grinder to remove a bit of the edge of the cone until it could actually sit on the bearing.

Don't know of the long term impact of this, but I'll order a new CV joint and replace it. I was weary when I saw "Made in China" on the RH shaft... aparently the sterotype holds true.

Silky

Anyone used this place for 1.6 shafts?

unariciflocos

Well nothing wrong with Mister-auto except that most times the stuff that is "on stock" takes a wee bit longer to arrive. Half of my orders took a week or more to arrive. The issue is just with that particular model of SKF 1.9 driveshaft.

It could be machined in a lathe or just buy the shaft from SKF and a different CV joint from another manufacturer if desperate. Don't know how the 1.6 ones are.

Edited by unariciflocos

calvinhorse

Ordered and fitted a pair of skf driveshafts for my 309 from mister-auto

The long shaft was a bad fit into the diff, the splines are .1mm too big which was enough to make it a bastard to fit..

The short side I had no problem fitting but knocks so badly on right hand turns that it rattles the entire car!

Personally I'd spend a bit more money and get some better quality shafts, these certainly don't live up to the skf brand name...

calvinhorse

And just to add to that, mister-auto were also very slow with postage.. Ordered on Thursday morning and came last thing Thursday night the following week..

I was told Tuesday and I'm sure most other companies could deliver by then

Tom Fenton

Cal, are you running eccentric top mounts?

calvinhorse

Yes but they didn't cause a problem with the previous shaft

Edited by calvinhorse