• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
OlberJ

205 Gti6 A New Lease Of Life

OlberJ

Hi folks, back yet again with a new project. Looking for some advice on parts selection and experience.

Had an mi16 years ago and super happy to be back reliving my 20s. :D

IMG_54347917508227.jpeg

Car is a white d reg 1.9 gti. Already converted to an xu10j a few years ago.

1.9 be1 box

Gti6 engine

Koni shocks all round

Gti6 front brakes

2 x gear linkage kit - Miles

Rear beam far too low

Bent valve ticking it's head off

Dash parts missing

Wheels needing refurbed

It's a phase 1 so grey trim and grey half interior. Have swapped the seats for some phase 2 half black and reds in excellent nick.

Chopped the quadrant and rebushed the pivot bolt so it now shifts properly.

Purchased a full group n engine and box mount kit and that's about it so far.

Have no intentions to put it back to standard, it's never going to be worth a mint and I'd rather have something I love myself than a potential for the next owner. Just came from air cooled Pork that I caught myself in that corner with, feared to modify.

So I'm in the process of upgrading and replacing and would like to know what you lot have been through already.

Engine - chatted to Miles about upgrading internals, headwork etc and will stick with standard just now. Have to sort the bent valve so took the best route (I hope) and purchased a 65k mile xsara vts engine and box. Will rebuild the old head later and decide if I want to do a full build there or just repair and sell it on.

Q - gti6 and vts engines exactly the same? If I swap across all the sensors and retain the modded 205 gti6 loom it should be plug and play? Have no oil pressure or temp and a coolant warning on dash but I know these have to be 205 sensors and adapted etc to work. Think they're gti6 items currently.

Gearbox - 1.9 be1 currently. Drives fine but will swap in the vts box for the better ratios. Have read up on this and know we will have to swap in a 205 diff and the flat selector arm.

Q - If I go for an lsd, assume the 205 ones fit the vts box ok? Which ones come recommended? I see quaife are a bit poop. This will be fine with the 1.9 be1 shafts, aye?

Q - speedo is not working, reconnected at dash end and still gubbed. Will a new standard cable work ok with the vts speedo sender?

Suspension - Konis seem quite stiff but probably just the rear is too low so that's being changed. Can you still get 309 beams? I had kw v1s on my 964, they as good on the 205? Loved them on the 911 and they were quite stiff but really nice rebound. Will have beam set to 1 spline low.

Interior - I'm keeping the gti seats etc but will probably modify the dash that is there and remove the interior trim I don't want, rear interior panels, a piller etc. Either paint or cover with vinyl etc covering the trim holes.

Exterior - have later lights to fit and planning to spray the trim black.

Wheels - got 4 speedlines and an smr so I'll refurb those standard or goodwood.

Sunroof - Has rusty screws and is heavy. Does anyone do a carbon or fibreglass replacement?

So aye, few things to do. Oh aye, all before a big run on the 24th April! Help very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Olie

Edited by OlberJ

aldworth33

I have a goodwood speedline id swap you for an smr if your wanting a full set to refurb? It would be my spare anyway. The gti6 engine with the vts box is a good combination. I have a plate diff in mine and love it, not looking forward to getting in touch with quaife (Tran-x) to get new plates when mine wear out tho, I hear they're a tad s*ite to contact.

Suspension wise bilstein are highly recommended on here but are pricey i have a couple of new front ones to put on mine in a few weeks and you do still see 309 gti beams for sale but not too often so keep an eye out

Hope that helps a bit