• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

1993 1.9 Cat Gti No Fuel

damo

hi,

I have a 93 gti with the later 122bhp engine and cat. Finally together but it wont start. Engine cranks but no fuel!

It looks to not have power to the fuel pump as its not making any noise etc.

The fuel tanks been off and I have put 3 cans of fuel in it so 15 litres and no luck.

Also the fuel gauge sits below the R by a mm or two.

If I bridge the wires on the sender plug it goes up and I can get the low fuel light on.

Any one got ideas on where to look as to why no power? The 15 amp fuel in slow 14 (Nearest the drivers side) is ok.

It drove and started fine 2 years ago before the restore!

So -

Bad earth? what should I check and where?

Relays on the later CAT model engines - under the steering wheel and how do I check?

Anything else?

Whats the positive wire on the plugs?

Spent half a day already on it! only other thing I can think off is the immobiliser but I can get it the turn over just no fuel so looks to be disabling ok.

Any pointers on power direct to the pump? whats best - two wires and a car battery?

Few questions above but lost as to why its not starting

damo

dcc

have you got 12v to your fuel relay and is it switching to earth when cranking?

• Like 2

damo

hi dcc, where the rely and any ieda on the pin? is it ping 30?

its looks different to my other phase 2 gti as in the loom so a little lost!

damo

ok pulled the relay, looks ok. its yellow and by the ecu drivers side. Only got the one so is this the right one?

checked the earths

wired the car battery to the pump. it made a quite hissing sound.

So as its been off the car I assume the arrows on the fuel pipes from the pump mean fuel flow? the one with the arrow pointing away from the pump and to the black pipe looks to be connected to the metal pipe in the middle or furthers towards the passenger side.

Still no fuel when popping of the fuel filter to engine pipe. Was fine as mentioned 2 years ago before taking the back end apart and removing the tank.

Also the fuel gauge doesn't really move! still sits 2mm below the R!

any ideas and is a gentle low hiss right for the fuel as all the pipes will be empty?

welshpug

not for a cat engine running motronic they dont from what I recall, should be like a 1.9 mi16 and have rtwo normal 4 pin relays, one turns the coil ecu and injectors on, the second is switched by the ecu as soon as it sees crank.

Edited by welshpug

damo

not for a cat engine running motronic they dont from what I recall, should be like a 1.9 mi16 and have rtwo normal 4 pin relays, one turns the coil ecu and injectors on, the second is switched by the ecu as soon as it sees crank.

ok so this single yellow one isnt it, any ideas on where the find those two?

is the hiss on wiring the pump two connectors to live and positive on a battery right? pumps ok?

Edited by damo

Slo

So brown or black double relay then? Possibly bolted to front nearside innerwing?

Miles

Nope, it's a yellow relay as said behind the kick panel from the factory, Earth is in front of the N/S/R light.

Ph2 pumps are sh*t for some reason, I get thru loads of these compared to the earlier ones for some reason, Check the pump flow, just disconnect the main line to the rail, the the return

damo

Thanks miles. Checked the earth at the back light. Looked ok.

Does the hiss mean the pumps ok and its just power to it being the issue ?

ade 4wd

The yellow relay next to the ECU under the dash is the fuel pump relay. Can you hear this relay click when the engine is cranked?

Also does the injection warning light on the dash come on with the ignition on?

Miles

Have you checked for voltage at the relay, Fuel pump etc with a DVM?

damo

Not the relay. Does the engine need to be in the start position for 12v on the pump lead ?

For the relay, the yellow on is right ? So ping 30 positive and just ground the negative site ?

• Like 1

damo

The yellow relay next to the ECU under the dash is the fuel pump relay. Can you hear this relay click when the engine is cranked?

Also does the injection warning light on the dash come on with the ignition on?

Yes the engine warning and stop etc light up. Fuel gauge move a little to under r and that's it. If ignition is on 2 would power flow or is it at 3 turning it over to start ?

I'll check for clicked when cranking.

Edited by damo

damo

right made some good progress. get 10.4 volts on the fuel pump plug now when cranking. Still no joy so I assume the pump is ceased up being sat so long?

After cleaning the earth's, yellow relay and replaced the dirty fuses in the shunt box the relay started clicking :) tested the voltage and got just over 10v on the fuel pump plug :)

no joy on fuelling, then I connected the pump to a battery is did hiss?? is it ok possibly and its the rubber pipes on the wrong way round?

welshpug

pull the pipe oiff the fuel rail and pop it into a pot, power up the fuel pump.

damo

right, pulled the pipes off today and tried to start her. nothing :(

Did the fuel rail and the pipes off the pump (see if a pips blocked) and no fuel!

Just to confirm - the arrows show fuel direction? so the one near the holding ring is out and the one basically in the middle to the return.

As the sender isnt working I assume being sat for 2 years has rusted things up and its all broken :(

Any pointers on a fuel pump? like this - ​http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALEO-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Petrol-Fits-Citroen-Honda-Peugeot-1-1-2-0L-1980-1998-/131415099824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e98f349b0

or this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-In-Tank-Walbro-GSS342-Equivalent-Performance-Race-Electric-Fuel-Pump-/371242651783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566fc95087

Also are the base 205 injection ones all the same as just the pumps look to be 30-70 quid on ebay.

Is this the right sender http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-Gti-Cti-Fuel-Tank-Level-Sender-Jaeger-/261780065995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3A205&hash=item3cf34ececb

As I believe the tanks are different on later 205's.

Edited by damo

Miles

Yes the pump's are different on the later car's but as to the type of pump I'd have to pass, sender's all the same so I'd stick a wanted add up or take yours out and free it up which is dead easy with some cleaner and TLC

damo

Yes the pump's are different on the later car's but as to the type of pump I'd have to pass, sender's all the same so I'd stick a wanted add up or take yours out and free it up which is dead easy with some cleaner and TLC

when you say clean it up, it just needs a wipe over with brake cleaner or does it come apart?

Miles

it's a slide basically, just brake cleaner it and turn it up and down you'll soon here it and to see if it's working connect it up and try it before sticking it back in,

As said the amount of Ph2 pump's I've had fail is silly compared to the earlier ones, Good old Bosch

damo

Thanks miles. Took the sender.out. it was coated in glue, so its the glue from the gaff tape I used to tape up the tank ! Alloy wheel cleaner cleaned it on it now works.

So I think this is my fuel pump issue. If I take it out and clean it, can I test it works before putting back ? May have burned the pump out if it is stuck but worth a clean do you think?