• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

What's The Highest Speed You've Had From Your 205?

Goliath

hahaha!

Biggles, can you see the satnav? not sure if its very clear, but the satnav was saying 156mph, you might note also the speedo being sat on the trip reset pin. We had it sat on the limiter in 5th, actually on the autobahn, much to the surprise of many many cars, porsche gt3, golf r32, sartys 2.2 ;) Watch the video again and note that we are passing cars as if they're doing 30mph, but they're actually doing 80ish. crazy crazy engine for a 205.

george your memory seems a bit soft, do you not remember it veering across the road? we had 2 bolts left in the subframe en route to zolder... haha

I was on about my current V6 205 that feels stable at speed, you know, the one Meirion helped me build, not the blue one that you helped with :P

Here's a vid of the current one which has a working rev counter :)

Biggles

hahaha!

Biggles, can you see the satnav? not sure if its very clear, but the satnav was saying 156mph, you might note also the speedo being sat on the trip reset pin. We had it sat on the limiter in 5th, actually on the autobahn, much to the surprise of many many cars, porsche gt3, golf r32, sartys 2.2 ;) Watch the video again and note that we are passing cars as if they're doing 30mph, but they're actually doing 80ish. crazy crazy engine for a 205.

Think you missed my point - speedos can be 'fixed' as I'm sure can satnav's but I'm not disputing the speed - looking out of the windows, it doesn't LOOK like it's going 150. Yes, it's passing things quickly but you don't actually know how fast they are going so that's a meaningless comparison.

It's a camera thing - I don't think I've ever seen any in-car that genuinely reflects the speed - I've got in-car stuff from rallies that look like I was off down the shops but I can assure you I wasn't !

forbeslongden

Well, I did get punished slightly for pushing my 205, it decided to lose some of my passenger head light.

post-23672-0-71708600-1427291624_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

so most people seem to think it is fake for some reason.

God love Youtube experts, for they remind us that for every normal person there is at least one moron out there. The balance of nature.

There's a video on YT of a Volvo S40 T4 with ~700bhp doing silly speeds at an organised event on a airfield, yet so many "experts" comment on YT that it's "fake" and that it must be on a rolling road, or on axle stands. Despite al the evidence to the contrary. Some people just won't be told though. Best just let them wallow in their stupidity and enjoy what you have.

Back on topic, think I've had ~130 out of my standard Mi on a 1.6 box, going up hill, with a little bit left to give.

• Like 2

woodymi16

120 and I get scared as the wipers are dancing and I'm wondering if I shut the bonnet properly.

• Like 1

Goliath

God love Youtube experts, for they remind us that for every normal person there is at least one moron out there. The balance of nature.

There's a video on YT of a Volvo S40 T4 with ~700bhp doing silly speeds at an organised event on a airfield, yet so many "experts" comment on YT that it's "fake" and that it must be on a rolling road, or on axle stands. Despite al the evidence to the contrary. Some people just won't be told though. Best just let them wallow in their stupidity and enjoy what you have.

Back on topic, think I've had ~130 out of my standard Mi on a 1.6 box, going up hill, with a little bit left to give.

Indeed, that's why although I do a fair bit with my cars I rarely publicise any of it, including on here as it gets tedious responding to the trolls!

I only put up a build thread of my current 205 V6 a year or so after doing the conversion as I am doing more interesting things with suspension etc. and hoping to do something with throttle bodies in the future. If I had put up a thread showing the engine conversion it would have just been full of comments about how it would be so heavy and the handling would be ruined and it won't corner so well etc. It's a blooming road car, not a lightweight hillclimb build ffs!

Back on topic again... I'm keeping an eye out for an ML6C gearbox to fit my engine which should give an even higher top speed, it will be interesting to see how fast a 205 can go without massive power, mine is less than 200bhp at the moment and I find it quite impressive that that amount of power can currently get it to 150 ish when it hits the limiter.

• Like 1

Alan_M

Standard-ish Mi16 with 1.6 box in 5th bouncing the limiter approaching Fuchsrore at the 'Ring. Worked it out afterwards, think it's 136mph.

It's surprising how easy an Mi pulls through 5th on a 1.6 box....

Edited by Alan_M

arwel

Mi16 with a 1.6 box fitted witha 4:8 CWP. Speedo read 115mph but no idea how accurate that is. It was in 5th and on the limiter and couldnt go any quicker on a section of Stage on the Harry Flatters rally over Epynt last year.

jackherer

Mi16 with a 1.6 box fitted witha 4:8 CWP. Speedo read 115mph but no idea how accurate that is. It was in 5th and on the limiter and couldnt go any quicker on a section of Stage on the Harry Flatters rally over Epynt last year.

Assuming a 7200 RPM limiter and 195/50R15 tyres that gearbox/final drive combination gives a theoretical top speed of 116.9903 mph so your speedo is very close. Too close in fact, they are meant to over-read at least a few %!

rallyeash

7k in 5th on my 205 at Combe. Whatever that works out as. Mi16 box

arwel

Assuming a 7200 RPM limiter and 195/50R15 tyres that gearbox/final drive combination gives a theoretical top speed of 116.9903 mph so your speedo is very close. Too close in fact, they are meant to over-read at least a few %!

Yes to 7200limiter but on 185/60/14 wheels and tyres

jackherer

117.31528 mph with those tyres, your speedo should be showing well in excess of 120 mph by then really.

DC2T

Had my old xm turbo engined 205 topping out at 119mph on the clock with the 1.6 box. Same engine and same car then managed 135mph on the clock in 5th with a gti 6 box

welshpug

117.31528 mph with those tyres, your speedo should be showing well in excess of 120 mph by then really.

why? hes not doing 120!

Goliath

why? hes not doing 120!

cz they almost always over read.

• Like 1

jackherer

When I say 'should' I mean that's how it would have worked when Peugeot put it together.

A speedo is never going to be 100% accurate so car manufacturers always set them up to slightly over read to avoid the possibility of under reading.

SVA/IVA or whatever they call the kit car test these days checks the speedo and it can over read by quite a lot but if it under reads by even 1mph it'll fail.

Anthony

I've found that 205 speedos are by and large normally pretty accurate providing that you're using the correct speedo drive gears.

I think all of mine have been within 1-2mph at 70mph when compared against a GPS.

I can only assume that back then they were trying to make the speedo broadly accurate, and that being the case, they succeeded.

Anything else I've owned, particularly vaguely modern, over-reads a good 4-5mph at 70 I find and is obviously engineered-in. It's usually very clear on models where you can see the "real-time" diagnostic info as that will typically give an accurate speed!

Slo

Had my old xm turbo engined 205 topping out at 119mph on the clock with the 1.6 box. Same engine and same car then managed 135mph on the clock in 5th with a gti 6 box

Hmm virtually same as mine then, how did you get the gti 6 box to fit?

DC2T

To be honest mate i cant remember as it about 10 years back now, but i dont remember it being an issue when fitting. Lock on one side was severely reduced but other than that it was no problem

Slo

Well the box fits straight on obviously but I was thinking more driveshaft issues-wise and the lock issue will have been because of the bigger cap on the end of the box for the extra gear.

Cheers

DC2T

If i see the guy who did it ill ask him what he did. Im pretty sure it used the 1,6 shafts but they certainly didnt modify the shafts or anything

allye

fitting a gti6 needs the same process as a vts box.

DC2T

Which is?