• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Water / Methanol Injection

Steve

Two weeks after fitting the AEM water/methanol injection kit, i can confirm 1.5 bar is loads of fun.

I can really recommend this upgrade to any xm/ 406 turbo derived setup using the standard ecu. :D​

Slo

Whats this like? I've got the 605 setup with oem ecu which is similar to the 406 setup

Steve

Hi Andy,the kit works very good and is very easy to set up. Because I'm using a slight over boost I was finding the engine was pinking under heavy loading. I can't afford a separate ecu to correct the over advance etc,and so I thought of the the fifth injector setup,however this system was hard to find and so I did some research into water injection.

So far no problems I can run 1.8 bar on standard fuel and have no detonation problems and the exhaust temp gas temperature is also lower. I'm not recommending 1.8 bar as a everyday boost figure, just saying that with the injection system it will very happily run that boost ( wheel spin at 100 )

Slo

I pity your driveshafts :unsure: if your are running the oem ecu it should have a knock sensor to safeguard against pinking

welshpug

how did you get the ecu to stop the boost cut over 1 bar given it has a 1.1bar sensor?

Edited by welshpug

Slo

was thinking that myself, the map sensor senses 1 bar approx at full measurement but 1.8? wtf lol

Steve

was thinking that myself, the map sensor senses 1 bar approx at full measurement but 1.8? wtf lol

The boost gauge i use has a controllable bleed valve, which means the ecu never sees more than 1 bar so the waste gate stays shut hence the 1.8 bar.

Yes there is a knock sensor fitted as standard, however the standard pump fuel does not contain the octane the high boost requires.... hence the methanol as a octane booster.

I do not run the 205 at 1.8 bar that was pushing the envelope. I'll try to put pictures on tonight..

Anthony

Out of curiosity, is it not running lean at full chat given that the ECU doesn't know about the additional 0.8 bar boost over and above the 1 bar it's registering on the MAP sensor? I'm not sure what that equates to in terms of airflow/mass and thus fuel requirement, but it does seem like a significant amount not to be compensated for...

dcc

is that the ;point of the methanol?

• Like 1

Slo

Didnt think these lumps could take anything past 1.2 bar for long without springing holes

dcc

slo you need to check out the Sos 2.0 8v, i am 99% sure he was running 280bhp on a standard engine

• Like 1

aldworth33

My mate Jamie runs this on his sitec focus st, it was one of the most powerful focus's in the UK and prob still is, seems to be a good mod

• Like 1

Steve

Out of curiosity, is it not running lean at full chat given that the ECU doesn't know about the additional 0.8 bar boost over and above the 1 bar it's registering on the MAP sensor? I'm not sure what that equates to in terms of airflow/mass and thus fuel requirement, but it does seem like a significant amount not to be compensated for...

is that the ;point of the methanol?

Hi Antony and dcc, the methanol is a high octane fuel, the methanol is atomised into the inlet at a predetermined boost which raises the total octane rating to about 115 ish. This extra fuel also richens the mixture stop the lean burn predetonation. This is similar in effect to a turbo techinics fifth injector, with the benefit of a higher octane fuel on demand.

Didnt think these lumps could take anything past 1.2 bar for long without springing holes

don't know what bhp i'm doing, the 205 is my daily drive . Just sharing with the forum what i've done to my 205

slo you need to check out the Sos 2.0 8v, i am 99% sure he was running 280bhp on a standard engine

I've read the dutch lads are running 240 bhp on standards for how long i don't know

My mate Jamie runs this on his sitec focus st, it was one of the most powerful focus's in the UK and prob still is, seems to be a good mod

My point from the start of this topic, for my circumstances this kit works for me :D​ Would definitely recommend it for any turbo.