• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
theoilburner

New 205 Gti - Shoddy Conversion

ALEX

I wouldn't trust an Auto Electrician to wire the plug for my toaster!

theoilburner

Instead of starting a new thread I thought it would be more fitting to updated this one as it was still on page 1 of the resultas anyway.

My car is now running again and I think I have an oil pressure issue. I use the term "I think" as I am relying on the OE oil pressure gauge being accurate.

When cold the oil pressure will go up to the 3/4 level on the dash and it will drop to 1/2 way when warm under normal driving conditions. When driving more spiritedly (4k-6k revs) this drops way down and the warning light flickers near redline (I obviously haven't been driving it like this since I noticed the issue).

What are some simple things that I can try before I start thinking that my engine is knackered.

The oil is fairly fresh but I will change it anyway to see if it helps. The oil breather pipes have all been been replaced with new Baker BM items so there are no blockages / leaks there.

Oil pump? Oil cooler?

Any help / advice is appreciated. I did try doing a quick search of this forum through google but could only seem to find 16v threads.

Anthony

Check the crank pulley bolt is properly tight - if it isn't then the oil pump drive can slip and cause low oil pressure.

If the guage drops and the light flickers on, I'd say its a genuine oil pressure issue as the guage and light are two different senders/wiring

ALEX

I Had a scare a few times with a loose connection on the pressure gauge. when the engine revs it vibrated loose the connection showing no pressure at high revs!

As Antony says if the warning light is coming on with the pressure drop its unlikely that 2 connectors are vibrating loose. But saying that it could be worth a check.

The pressure sender is the bigger cylinder of the 2 senders fixed to the front of the engine block next to the starter motor. The smaller one is the switch. (Warning STOP light)

The Pulley bolt is a good suggestion, but I thought the pump gear is keyed (woodruff like the pulley). unless I'm mistaken?

If so the key could be missing.

Edited by ALEX

Anthony

I Had a scare a few times with a loose connection on the pressure gauge. when the engine revs it vibrated loose the connection showing no pressure at high revs!

As Antony says if the warning light is coming on with the pressure drop its unlikely that 2 connectors are vibrating loose. But saying that it could be worth a check.

The connector coming loose on the oil pressure switch would mean that the light wouldn't come on at all, rather than come on when it shouldn't (unless it shorted out against the engine block)

The Pulley bolt is a good suggestion, but I thought the pump gear is keyed (woodruff like the pulley). unless I'm mistaken?

If so the key could be missing.

It's not keyed on 1.9 engines.

• Like 1