• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Ering Driveshaft Seals

James Cornell

Just fitted a set of wring driveshaft seals and the driver side is fine but the passenger side is weeping after only 150 miles.

Has anyone else had issues with this brand or do you think. I have just been unlucky?

dcc

Is it sat flush?

• Like 1

James Cornell

Yes the seal is flush to the box casing

Edited by James Cornell

j_turnell

The seal should be slightly proud, 1-2mm, if the seal is decent quality, it shouldn't leak.

dcc

I used FEBI seals for my gearbox seals, they never leak, I recently bought a pair of drive shaft seals from Elring but decided against fitting them after reading something about them not sealing quite right. They look identical to the FEBI items.

fwiw, you have seated your seal a bit too far in, as above they should be about 2-3mm proud in my experience.

I have no idea why these shaft seals struggle to seal with the small difference, as there is nothing on the shaft to stop them sealing.

• Like 1

unariciflocos

I've seen a small groove on the left shaft. Even machined about 1 mm of its end so that it would go further in, but even with original Peugeot seals I had to leave it about 3 mm proud to stop it leaking. I'd expect absolutely no quality issue with Febi or Elring products. Few things with a Made in Germany stamp have let me down so far, an no, I'm not German.

welshpug

I've used them and febi as dan mentioned without issue, depends on the type but most need to sit proud, its documented in the haynes manual.

James Cornell

Houston I think we may have found the problem..and I think it is my method of application...to fit the seals I pressed them on gently by hand and then put a large block of wood flat across the seal and the proceded to hit the wood with a mallet until the deal was flush.

That'll teach me not to read the manual

Anthony

Yup, it'll be that it is flush - leave it slightly proud and it should be fine.

It always strikes me as odd that Peugeot did that rather than extending the gearbox/diff casing a few mm or moving the chamfer on the driveshaft a few mm so that the seal would seal when flush. Maybe they never intended it to need to sit proud, but cocked up the design after a skinful of cheap red wine one lunchtime :lol:

For reference I've had no issues with Elring seals.

James Cornell

I am assuming it would be very silly for me to try and remove/refit this seal...better buy a new one

Anthony

Yep - you'll more than likely damage it when you remove it and even though you might not put a monitory value on it, your time is worth more than the cost of a new seal.

James Cornell

Especially as I have to virtually drive past Spoox on the way home from work...

Bit of a obvious one but I thought I would check, if I jack the car up on the passenger side only I should be able to replace the deal without draining the box???

dcc

2 litres of oil in there - I doubt it, though I think I read fenton had done this a few years ago - for the sake of 2 mins extra work, not worth the mess :)

welshpug

id use your local factors, be so much cheaper.

you can do it without draining if you have s high enough lifting jack, my clarke 3t one does.

James Cornell

I doubt my third-hand, leacking, 15 year old jack will do it ????