• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ramigojag

1.6 Misfire At 2000Rpm

Ramigojag

Hi all,

My car went through its MOT yesterday absolutely fine. Just before its MOT I fitted a new fuel filter, ignition amplifier, coil pack and tachy relay.

Driving it to work this morning I could feel it misfiring, it wasn't till I was on my way back home I noticed it was only at approx 2100-2200RPM consistently, irrelevant of what gear or what speed I was doing and only when cruising it would accelerate under light or heavy load straight through the above RPM range no problem, but in any gear cruising at 2100-2200RPM it would miss.

The car has been stood along time and there was some slight condensation under the bonnet over the winter despite me trying to start it up and let it warm regularly.

I have ordered new plugs and new leads (they were originally on my list of things to change but got the wrong lengths twice). I know my distributor could do with a refurb (does not advance properly despite having a new vac advance fitted) and its on my list over the next couple of weeks. However it wasn't misfiring before I took it off the road for the winter despite having the same problem.

I have been reading and searching and alot of the time people seem to suggest the ignition amplifier, now mine was fitted properly cleaned and sanded back the ally plate and applied the thermal paste that came with the amplifier, it was a Cambiare so reasonable quality.

I know there are no air leaks because I originally had an air leak, smoke tested it and it was coming from the vac advance (the reason for changing it) and the oil filler cap, both of which were changed then smoke tested again quite recently and there were no leaks.

Any other tips for where to look?

jackherer

The RPM you are having a misfire at is a bit low for an ignition amp, they normally hesitate at about 3.5/4k. However I have never heard of Cambiare and the only ignition amps that work on 205s in my experience are Bosch MTR 01s. Do you still have your old amp and coil?

PhilNW

Try the AFM

• Like 1

Ramigojag

The AFM is brand new also only about 200 miles on it.

You've never heard of cambiare??, surprised at that they are pretty big. Yes I do still have them so suppose it's worth a try at the weekend

http://cambiare-ve.com

Edited by Ramigojag

jackherer

I looked at their website earlier and it doesn't say much about them, their UK distributor is a company called 'Ferraris Piston Service Ltd' in Manchester...

Do a search on here for cambiare, there are at least two people who have had problems with their amps.

Tom Fenton

Ferraris are massive and nationwide.... Have you not heard if them either :D

jackherer

No! I just googled them and they have 20 shops...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that their own brand 205 GTI ignition amps are of equal or lower quality than the own brand amps from ECP/GSF which are practically useless.

Tom Fenton

They are not a shop/retailer, they are a wholesaler, they supply into motor factors and engine reconditioning companies.

Cambiare I think are an OEM supplier much the same as the likes of Valeo. I think Renaults use a lot of Cambiare bits.

Ramigojag

I work for a truck motor factor and we get parts from Ferraris, thats where I got this from, I will try the original one again on the weekend and see if there is any improvement. If there is then I will go for the Bosch as we are also Bosch agents.

jackherer

I just looked on Ferraris website again and it seems they are the parts division of the Lookers car dealer chain - http://www.lookersplc.com/lookers-group/parts-division

I don't disbelieve what you say about Cambiare but I can't find anything about them via Google other than them being an FPS brand in the UK.

None of that matters though, the bottom line is that nobody has found an ignition amp that works reliably in 205s apart from original blue Bosch parts. Even the later black Bosch amps that are available new have a mixed reputation at best.

farmer

New blue Bosch amps through Peugeot are £102 each but not available directly now

Ramigojag

I can get a new Bosch item # 0 227 100 123 for £45.50

Is this one of the later black Bosch units that your talking about? the main reason for not going for the Bosch originally was because they are a pain to order from unless we are doing a big order so just opted for the Cambiare from Ferraris.

Would either my original unit or a known good second hand original Bosch be my best bet for first port of call?

jackherer

I'd stick with your original one unless you were having problems with it.

AFAIK all new Bosch amps are the later black ones, any new original blue ones must be old stock.

Ramigojag

I wasnt having any problems, I was just trying to replace as many ignition and fuelling parts as possible ready for some fun in the summer.

Hopefully that will sort it im changing the plugs and leads anyway just as a matter of course

Edited by Ramigojag

jackherer

If it works keep it! They don't wear out as such so there is no need to replace it unless it fails, just re apply the thermal paste every few years.

Ramigojag

Update for anyone's future reference. Swapping back to my original ignition module has fixed it. No more misfire

• Like 1