• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
golfing69

Engine Rebuild

golfing69

Hi Guys,recently bought a 205 gti 1.6,was going to remove the head and rebuild it,would it be better to get a really good refurbished one so i then can take my time working on mine,has anybody out there got one to sell or know a good place to perhaps have mine done,regards neil

Tom Fenton

Unless you have a machine shop theres not really an awful lot you can usefully do yourself. They are a simple enough head so any engine machine shop should have no problem.

Check all parts for wear, get the face skimmed to clean up, new valve guides, recut seats, new valve stem oil seals, reshim cam, done.

• Like 1

golfing69

Thanks Tom,got a price of £325 plus vat,do you think thats reasonable

Tom Fenton

Sounds maybe a bit on the dear side to me but not a million miles away. Find out exactly what they will do for that price is my advice. I'd be a bit wary of them pulling a price out of the air as until its stripped and assessed how can they say what is required?

Also don't forget to order head gasket set and head bolts while you are there as usually the machine shop will supply at a better price than a motor factors.

• Like 1

golfing69

Cheers Tom,how do you rate the 1.6 against the 1.9,i know its about 1.3 secs quicker to sixty,regards neil