• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimbob

Xu Loom Knowledge Needed

jimbob

Hi guys I have removed the loom from my 1.6 Gti ready to blast and respray the shell.

I am trying to remove the unnecisary extra wires out of the loom for the likes of speaker cables, remote locking etc

There are a few wires I am unsure of there use including many that aren't in use but don't fancy cutting them out without knowing what they are.

My first of which is a black box and white relay (blue plug) attatched to a plate that is bolted to the underside of the steering column, most of the wiring goes out to the drivers door for locking I assume and there is an earth that shares the Earth on the left of the column with the stereo earth. Any advice as to what this is someone had suggested an alarm system I can't imagine so without it going into the ignition?

I also have two black spade connectors that come out to the right of the column (purple and a grey wire)

Anthony

Black box is the central locking controller on Ph2 models (ie those with RCL)

The white "relay" is the lights on buzzer.

The two spades are probably the brake light switch.

jimbob

Thank you Anthony!

Am I safe in saying I can cut all the wires that go the RCL controller?

Kicking myself about the brake light switch haha should have realised that one...

Anthony

If you don't want central locking, then yes that box and the wiring associated with it can be removed.

With that box removed, the central locking won't work at all - it's not just the remote part which stops.

jimbob

Yeah that's cool I never actually had central locking working on the car I have the box in roof and had an actuator in the drivers door but not the passenger it's a ph1.5 so I don't know if it was put in but not plumbed in or if a previous owner removed??

I'm onto the rear loom now anyone know off hand what the 3 two pin female connectors above the rear passenger arch are for? They are coloured;

Yellow - large white wire (107) and small green and yellow wire (m39?)

White/clear - small blue (200) and small white wire (201) (I believe to be RCL)

Red - small yellow (28r) and brown wire (31a)

Also two female spades;

Brown - small green wire (36c)

Red - large blue wire (16a)