• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Think I Have A Tapper

dobboy

Well after clocking up over 100 miles with my replacement engine, i'm resigned to the fact it's a feckin tapper.

The tapping isn't particularly loud but i know it's there, and may or may not be a result of my troubles changing the timing belt, i suspect i've probably bent an inlet valve.

I have my spare engine at hand which i know is good, although doesn't appear to ever have had a HG change.

Can someone advise what is the least painful and cheapest option for me to get this sorted out? And rough costs involved for the parts i'll need if possible.

Gutted!

Tia

Mattr5uk

Get the head off the other engine get it skimmed, new gasket set and fit it to the engine that's tapping.

I haven't done it in place but I'm certain it can be done just put your fingers on a diet :D

• Like 1

Miles

Spare head to to someone who knows about them, Check it over fully and don't just skim it as it's false economy really.

Reason I say head to someone that has knowledge of them is allot think they can do it but fail time after time, well the amount I have seen is silly which is why I only have 1 trusted supplier of these

• Like 1

dobboy

What would i need to buy?

Head gasket, head bolts? Timing belt?

Does anything need to be done with valves?

Does the head come off in a million bits or one big lump?

dobboy

Btw, i don't suppose the fact that i have 5/40 oil in (gulf competition) could have anything to do with the sound?

I'm gonna take this oil out and run a flush with a cheaper oil before i do anything, but fully suspect i'll be getting the sleeves rolled up.... Yet again.

Apart from the tapping the car runs great, so i'm willing to try anything before doing anything drastic.

Mattr5uk

Gasket set and head bolts are a must the cambelt on that engine you've recently fitted haven't you? It'll depend on how cost effective your looking to make it. As miles said if you if you can find someone who knows what they're doing with the head they should be able to supply the parts with regards to you gasket set and inc seals you'll need.

Take your other head off your old engine first that'll give you an idea of what's involved with doing it in place.

As I expect you've probably got most the ancillaries off that engine it should just be rocker/camshaft covers off and undo head bolts.

Mattr5uk

Miles should be able to tell you more and tbh I've never done one but if any things bent would a leak down test give you an idea?

dobboy

Thanks Matt, i also have another scrap engine i could open up to see what's involved. It's one i bought with a snapped timing belt, so i could have a look at the unknown damage at the same time.

Would you say there is less work involved repairing this engine than doing a complete change?

welshpug

Its a lot easier to pull an engine out and strip the head off than to try and do it in situ.

As for the spare engine with snapped belt, that will undoubtedly need more parts put into it but will mean your car wont be out of action for as long.

dobboy

I've three engines WP lol

My old decent engine

The one thats a tapper that's in just now

And a snapped belt one

Oh and my 8v one!

I probably could face taking tapper out to get head off and i wouldn't fancy trying to put the timing belt on with it in situ anyway.

I've took a vid i'll post and perhaps one of you can confirm it's a tapper.

Mattr5uk

Mei as I said I've never done one but what makes them a problem to do in situ?

welshpug

you need to unbolt the exhaust manifold from the head, also in a 205 the proximity of the master cylinder will cause issues, nothing that's insurmountable, but pulling an engine out and attacking that lot on the floor or engine stand is so much quicker and easier, especially on your back and hands.

Miles

Easier to remove the head in a 205 than a 306, Exhaust manifold's dead easy unless you get a stubborn nut but thankfully unless mucked around with all 13mm heads unlike 8v's with some 10mm heads which always round off, I;d rather one of these over a 8v head any day

Plumbob

Unlucky pal, can't you just swap the flywheel back onto your old "good" engine? It's got to be the cheapest option?

I understand you won't want to pull your engine out again but...

dobboy

PB, i could but the other engine has never had HG done, so probably should be done.

And the thought of transferring everything back over again.......

Whereas, i could lift the lot out as a lump and drop it back in fairly easy,

If i thought i'd get the full summer out it i'd just leave it in as it is tbh.

Kane

Can't give too much advice regarding the 6 as I've not got any experience with them but I know how you feel, the amount of times I've had to pull out/strip down my mi16 since fitting has been seriously frustrating.

All I would say is if you need the motor on the road asap I'd replace the current engine with your known good runner in the short term and that should give you a while to strip down and fully investigate the source of the tapping. The worst thing that you could do is rush the inspection of your current head, overlook something and find yourself in the same predicament a few more hundred miles down the road.

Is your known good runner a high mileage engine? Just because it hasn't had a HG change doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen in the very near future

welshpug

might as well get someone to rebuild the spare lump tbh :lol:

welshpug

Just because it hasn't had a HG change doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen in the very near future

certainly, but swapping the gasket before it goes is much better than leaving it and risking a knackered head, bottom end bores etc.

given the age of them now even the youngest is 15 years old, the ones I've done bar one have all gone in the same place (combustion to water on the rear corner near the water pump on number 4 cylinder)

Dizzee stuff

Not a problem to do the head gasket in situ Just remove the master cylinder, fairly straight forward after that. lifting the head on/off with a engine crane make life a little easier.

dobboy

Well a little development.

I was in Falkirk so nipped in to speak to Davy at SOS Motorsport (sounds of silence on here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=100495 ))

Told him the problem, and how i think it came about.... and i felt better when he said i wasn't the first to damage a valve doing the timing on these engines.

He say's he'll do the repair no problem with the engine in place.

He's gonna give me two price options later today

Option 1 - repair the tapper head, skim, gasket etc.

Option 2 - Put the head on from my other engine, skim HG etc.

I'll probably go for option 1 depending on the outcome/damage as that way i can keep my other good engine complete.

Only thing is he is very busy, but fortuneately they do their own skimming so everything should be done in house, and hopefully be turned around quick if/when he takes it, and his prices are usually very reasonable too.

Dizzee stuff

Valves are cheep 3 to £4 each I seem to remember.

dobboy

Valves are cheep 3 to £4 each I seem to remember.

Are you sure? Any idea where from?

The ones i've seen are 200-300 for a set.

stu8v

Are you sure? Any idea where from?

The ones i've seen are 200-300 for a set.

Got a "det" damaged cylinder head here complete.

I believe the damage would be too much for a skim to sort, could be a useful source of parts?

Failing that I've got a complete engine too :-)

dobboy

Cheers stu, but have another two engines to rob from if need be.

Malc

That dodgy coolant cap you bought last year really has a lot to answer for!!