• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
soundguy

New Engine Loom...?

soundguy

My engine loom is really ropey - to the point where some of it might as well be made from rope, TBH.

Is there any way I can get the loom renewed/refurbed or replaced entirely? It's not really something I'd like to undertake myself although I would have a go at removal at least, if it's straightforward.

Anyone got any links to outfits who would do this or suppy new? It's a standard 1.9 BTW...

Miles

Which engine bay loom do you mean, the engine ECU one or the lights, Relays etc?

But on either reconditioning is the only way as making the Grommets thru the bulkhead is difficult on a budget,

It's something I do and is dead easy having done wiring on Frigates and Aircraft carriers, New crimps and repairing any issue's or dead (corroded) ends of the wires is all part and parcel along with conduit etc.

Kezzer30

Mine is the same all over place it was conduit slips and just clumps of wires behind lights and stuff I'm just repairing any that look abit snagged rest is getting bunched up and fresh conduit and a general tidy etc.

soundguy

Miles I never really differentiated between th sections - just thought it was generally a mess with plenty of corroded bits etc. So in terms of getting the loom out for refurbing, how do I do that?

Miles

Engine loom is easy ish but it runs under the ECU support which the stud of the dash goes thru, Lighting loom unplugs from the fuse box and is dead easy to pull thru

GLPoomobile

Which engine bay loom do you mean, the engine ECU one or the lights, Relays etc?

But on either reconditioning is the only way as making the Grommets thru the bulkhead is difficult on a budget,

It's something I do and is dead easy having done wiring on Frigates and Aircraft carriers, New crimps and repairing any issue's or dead (corroded) ends of the wires is all part and parcel along with conduit etc.

Miles, what do you mean by "making the grommets"?

welshpug

theyre a lump of moulded rubber.

soundguy

Mine is the same all over place it was conduit slips and just clumps of wires behind lights and stuff I'm just repairing any that look abit snagged rest is getting bunched up and fresh conduit and a general tidy etc.

Yeh, it'll be worth it when it's finished. If I can get mine to a state that it's good for another 10 years or whatever I'll be happy. Good luck with the refurb.

soundguy

Engine loom is easy ish but it runs under the ECU support which the stud of the dash goes thru, Lighting loom unplugs from the fuse box and is dead easy to pull thru

Right, so I do the lighting loom first unplugging it from the fusebox, then over to the ECU side, unfasten the dash stud, remove ECU support and unplug the loom from the ECU, is that it?

Obviously I also mean, pull it through the grommits if I can carefully wangle them out?

Edited by soundguy

acox99

What do you do about finding the correct colours for the loom, and what wire do you usually use? Conventional 14/.30 or a more modern thin wall type wire?

Miles

I tend to use high quality thin wall cable as it makes the hole loom thinner, but this does add to the cost slightly

Mac Crash

Miles, what do you mean by "making the grommets"?

Like WP says, they are moulded circular lumps but stiff and not very flexible as they need to seal the firewall/bulkhead, I remember struggling a little bit last year when removing the engine ECU loom from the spares car, obviously it will be much easier to pull the wiring loom through to the engine bay rather than pull all the loom through into the cabin... If I remember rightly the grommet was almost impossible to pull/push through to the engine side so I ended up sacrificing it and cutting it apart to retrieve the loom.

GLPoomobile

I know what a grommet is, I was confused by Miles' statement in which he implies that he makes the grommets. I assumed most people would re-use their original ones or find an equivilant from a breaker. I know the correct ones are either NLA or nigh on impossible to source new.

• Like 1

welshpug

I dont think they were ever available due to how they were made.

Miles

I didn't mean I make grommet's but it's easy enough if needed but as we all know for a 1 off the cost would be silly, You could never use a off the shelf one unless you stuffed it full of RTV as they are moulded to the loom

GLPoomobile

When i buikt my loom I re-used the original bulkhead grommet. It's sliced open on one side so you can open it and slide the loom in to it rather than through it. I can't remember if it was already sliced or if I did it. Anyway, when refitted it's such a tight fit in the bulkhead and around the loom that there was never an issue with it not sealing. IIRC I also wrapped some tape around it just to hold it together whilst it was off the car and make it a bit easier when trying to refit it to the bulkhead.

My long, long.........long......term plan is to do away with it and fit some of those fancy marine spec bulkhead connectors.

• Like 1

soundguy

What year is the car?

91ish