• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

1.9 B/end + 1.6 Pistons And What Cam?

Stu

Hi all,

Im about to start putting together a cheap and cheerful 8v from bits ive got knocking around.

Essentially, i'll be doing the usual 1600 piston onto 1900 rod mod, taking the cr up to the 11ish:1 mark but what cam have people used to good effect? the BP270 looks fairly tame in honesty, not showing a great deal more lift than the stock grind.

I've got a pair of 40's to go on with it that are running 36mm chokes so i know im limited long term, and rather than go mappable ignition as per the last build i'll be using a re-curved dizzy (from the likes of H and H) for ignition.

So... Anyone got any suggestions as to which cam to use? Anyone built a similar engine and what sort of results did they get horsepower wise?

welshpug

dan's running the PH4, which is a 300 degree rally cam, about 175 bhp and 140 lbft IIRC.

but that's on 45mm bodies and S60, on carbs it was about 10% lower and bloody awful on fuel, it'll do 40 mpg now.

Edited by welshpug

dcc

dont forget you need the valve springs for a wild cam too, we worked my cr to be about 11.8-1 iirc. mine also revs to 75-7700 iirc.

biggest problem with carbs was the low-mid range, it bogged down massively until it got to 4.5k - with bodies its pretty mental from 2.5-3k onwards

rarely get 40mpg round mid wales lanes though!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

dcc

ohh and mine only made 114.3bhp!

• Like 1