• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Oil Filler Gauze Why Does Everyone Suggest Removing It ?!

davey205

I might be missing something here..... bare with me but after clearing out a mayo crap filled breather hose / intake system on my laid up and horribly running 205 ( its ok now :-) ) I couldn't help but wonder why on earth I had removed the gauze.

After checking it seems everyone recommended to do this....... why? isn't the point of the gauze to stop the sludge reaching the intake system?

I have seen people say remove because it rusts then drops down into the engine if this is the case is there an alternative material to put there that doesn't rust badly for example stainless steel dish scouring pads changed at every oil change perhaps?

jackherer

I think it is a flame trap in case of backfires. Replacing it with a stainless pan scourer has been recommended on here many times over the years.

• Like 1

Ryan

As well as the one on the cap there's also another gauze inside the body of the oil filler. Mine was absolute caked solid with oil sludge. I replaced them both with stainless scourers and change them with the oil.

• Like 1

davey205

I think it is a flame trap in case of backfires. Replacing it with a stainless pan scourer has been recommended on here many times over the years.

:-) then that is what i shall do, will wait until ALDI or LIDL have a sale on scourers, can't beat German engineering :P

davey205

As well as the one on the cap there's also another gauze inside the body of the oil filler. Mine was absolute caked solid with oil sludge. I replaced them both with stainless scourers and change them with the oil.

Sounds good, how do you get at the one inside the body of oil filler?

farmer

Those oil fillers can be bought new still, £18 rings a bell

Grim.Badger

Sounds good, how do you get at the one inside the body of oil filler?

Ditto - I spent ages getting the gunk out of mine with soda solution but couldn't see an easy way to remove it (I can be quite dim at times though so could have missed something obvious)

• Like 1

davey205

Ditto - I spent ages getting the gunk out of mine with soda solution but couldn't see an easy way to remove it (I can be quite dim at times though so could have missed something obvious)

Glad I'm not the only one!

mrfirepro

it's been a little while since I did mine but I think the inner part comes out of the body. I seems to remember it sliding in and out quite easily.....now that's a sentence you got to be careful with :lol:

Ryan

The filler is two pieces like this:

post-5273-0-47983400-1421701310_thumb.png

The red piece is just held in by a groove around the top, and comes out with a bit of persuasion. Either tap the filler upside down on a hard surface, or push it out from the bottom by poking something up through the hole.

Edited by Ryan
  • Thanks 1

Daviewonder

Well I learned something new here today.

• Like 1

Grim.Badger

I've done it! Hurray for small victories! I recommend putting a swan-necked spanner down the hole to hook the bottom, then pulling upwards.

The gauze was original, and is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life. It looks like a corn cob left in a damp, dark, environment for a few months :wacko: