• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Starter Motor Issues

driversdomainuk

Hi All

Been having problems with starter motor at times, putting it in gear and giving it a push usually worked. However, I have just had a new starter fitted, and when trying to start, it fired fine. Tried again and would not start - could hear that "initialising" sound from under bonnet when switching the key but nothing else...

Garage were good and said they will try another starter for no cost...But apart from fitting a new start that happened to be a dud, is there anything else causing this intermittent issue?

Cheers

Rob

Edited by driversdomainuk

jackherer

Old corroded wiring and terminals usually.

jord294

what year car?

brown multiplug is common fault

did yo go for the slimmer/better 306 gti starter

AlexRS2782

Mine used to do this - it was only fixed after I gave the car to Miles and he redid all the wiring / connections on the loom that went via the brown multiplug and associated sensors.

Car has started first time every time since then :)

• Like 1

Miles

You should never say things like that, But as said Wiring, Ignition switch as each time you turn it it arc's and causes a high resistance joint, Big body starters are a waste of time even when new, they always bench test OK but never on the car

PhilNW

Try running a new wire from the ign switch to the terminal on the starter motor , worked for me

• Like 1

driversdomainuk

It looks like there is a tired wire from ignition switch to terminal - so thats going to be it...I hope