• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom_Gallington06

Scrap Yard And Barn Find Survivor....

Tom_Gallington06

Well i have just written up a whole 5 year overview of my progress and pressed back space which has lost my passed hour of typing!!!

So here it goes again.

So I bought a Red non sunroof 205 out of a scrap yard about 5 years again and took 18 months rebuilding it.

Spec

GTI-6 converison with gearbox

309 wishbones and D/S

309 Rear beam

GTI-6 Brakes

Stainless exhaust

11082007110_zps6a9265a5.jpg

11082007109_zps79fc8831.jpg

180720091170_zps06124a03.jpg

180720091169_zps3a4bf96b.jpg

170520091055_zpse67b58e1.jpg

DSCF0242_zps743b1d26.jpg

It only took 4 months for some dimwit to write it off for me at some traffic lights because he though I was going to jump the red light??
27082009108_zps482f13e8.jpg
27082009107_zps4f874001.jpg
14092009137_zpsadba5ffb.jpg
14092009136_zpsc47c99a2.jpg

So that car got stripped and I bought a Lazer of my mate. All my parts went onto this one.

17092009148_zps6ae62900.jpg

11012010374_zps22cad967.jpg

11012010376_zpsb2b12cc0.jpg

My bad luck got even better when someone drove into the rear quarter when it was parked. Topped off with my parents dropping a big branch on it to dent the roof. So I was mega happy.

DSCN0376_zps3d49fecf.jpg

So next I moved on to another hunt for a shell. This time I struck gold with a barn find. £250, 40 miles away. Here it is.

DSCN0403_zpsdcc6462f.jpg

DSCN0402_zps43c7820e.jpg

So I set straight away to stripping it and cleaning it thoroughly.

DSCN0413_zps5a6abb90.jpg

DSCN0420_zpsc971425e.jpg

DSCN0419_zpsdb3f4a3b.jpg

DSCN0417_zps46e09bd8.jpg

DSCN0428_zpsf1167288.jpg

Then just built it with all my parts from my last one and enjoyed it.

DSCN0504_zps18bcbbdb.jpg

DSC00469_zps2598ddeb.jpg

I then got some GAZ GHA coilies and fitted them

IMG_1018_zps5fb7a340.jpg

I aslo killed a head gasket after a couple of trackdays so the engine was swapped.

IMG_0105_zps9a56b5c9.jpg

IMG_0160_zpsd32d1736.jpg

Next I bought some Jenvey 48’s and omex 600 which I loved the sound off, way to additive.

IMG_1432_zps3af546c6.jpg

IMG_1443_zps380209d4.jpg

My mate was then selling some 45’s cheap so I had them and moved on my 48’s.

IMG_1634_zps9d5e4370.jpg

I was a GTI-6 head for sale on the forum which took my fancy to I bought that.

Spec:

Longman head

Piper 285 solids

Solid lifters

Double Valve springs

Vernier pulleys

So then I had to get a bottom end built. After some thinking I decided to build a beefier bottom end. Not just a fresh built standard bottom end.

Spec:

Re-linered block (86mm)

Lightened and balanced Crank

ACL race bearings

Omega pistons

Saenz rods

ARP bolts

Lightened flywheel and bottom pulley.

I nice delivery this was....

IMG_1794_zps28f5008b.jpg

SAM_1324_zpsc9e8ca02.jpg

SAM_1329_zpsb63c206b.jpg

So this all got sent to the engine shop and was machined, inspected and rebuilt.

So I got to go collect this

IMG_1830_zps6d202744.jpg

I then built all the various parts up on this engine and got it fitted.

IMG_1837_zps5b794f6d.jpg

IMG_1847_zps029a1555.jpg

IMG_1856_zps90a6a215.jpg

As well as a new set of coolant hoses, breather catch tank and a few other bits and bobs like a 309 front Anti roll bar and fitted a roll cage.

IMG_1876_zps61897dbd.jpg

IMG_1825_zps7f651f2c.jpg

SAM_1345_zps6c1e384e.jpg

IMG_1887_zps1a96c4f8.jpg

IMG_1895_zpsd83c6f41.jpg

Then off to the dyno were it didn’t make great power 198bhp. I put it down to cam timing and the exhaust as it is only 1-7/8” to 2”

F5BEC59A-9733-45B8-84E9-8EAB6FD6F2CB_zps

I then took I to my mate where we done some cam adjustments and trumpet length adjustments. And smoothed of the power band and got a few more bhp out of it (207Bhp)

SAM_1370_zps74820f9e.jpg

6CB38FC4-7660-486A-B8CB-E7202A1999E9_zps

9018659057_25e5e6a8a3_b_zpsbc88dc66.jpg

SAM_1362_zps366255da.jpg

So I have been enjoying it now and done a trackday which indicated I need a diff. So a 3J driveline will be added soon.

9020250842_cd5d6188e8_b_zps61b12775.jpg

Also a full 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and with 2.5” full system will be added soon. So that should finish it off for now until I crave wild cam’s and more power. The bottom end should be fairly strong to see through a fair amount of power increase so aslong as I have enough room with the valves and pistons new cams and a map and that will be about it for this build.

• Like 2

calvinhorse

Very nice in all 3 incarnations! :) like the battery box air filter set up!

rallyeash

Smart! Inlet manifold looks very short though. If changing the exhaust which being 2' will make a difference I'd look at a longer inlet manifold while at it.

Tom_Gallington06

Many thanks. Still some tweets and final things to do but should be a good all round fast road track car in the end.

Tom_Gallington06

I was originally going to fit a satchell Inlet but no mappers in the East that I know of like them compared to the jenvey one. Because of the jenveys being upside down I think.

selfyyy

Unlucky with the first 2 mate, current one looks mad though :wub:

hudson

Looks a great car you've ended up with eventually lol at least you'll have plenty of spares

Tom_Gallington06

Unlucky with the first 2 mate, current one looks mad though :wub:

Thanks pal. Worth it in the end. Still craving another red non sunny though.

Tom_Gallington06

Looks a great car you've ended up with eventually lol at least you'll have plenty of spares

Yes I do. I have a shed full I need to clear out. With a 3 spare Gti-6 engines and all sorts of stuff.

Looking at getting another shell and doing a Gti-6 turbo build next. Full home built garage special :-)

welshpug

how do you "re liner" a single piece cast steel block with no liners? :unsure:

Miles

Easy, well known thing to do and most capable machine shops can do this, It will get more common with the Iron block engine's as we know, I guess it's more of a classic car thing to do with the liners

• Like 1

Tom_Gallington06

Easy, well known thing to do and most capable machine shops can do this, It will get more common with the Iron block engine's as we know, I guess it's more of a classic car thing to do with the liners

Correct. So I didn't have bore it to an 86.5 or 87 as I had 86mm Pistons.

Phil205gti6

Good little thread, hope to see it expand soon with the new bits your planning to buy! Noticed a very handsome chap welding your cage in there too ;)

That engine speaks for itself when you passed me on track!

Dizzee stuff

The red 1.6 shell looked in good nick did you scrap it ? as it looked a fairly easy repair.

Tom_Gallington06

Cheers Phil. Well hopefully soon we will see tho.

Dizzee it was a really clean shell. I think I was just devastated and it had actually pushed the left ache out and kinked the rear quarter so not just the boot.

Tom_Gallington06

So I went out to start my 205 today as I am thinking about putting it back on the road and I haven't started it for a couple of weeks. I went out and the engine was turning over slowly, so I put the battery on to charge and watched a film. It sounded like the engine tried to start a few times but never started properly. Then after a while it just turned over and over and didn't fire again or even try to start.

By this point it was dark so I just locked everything up and have came in for the night.

What do you think would be the first thing to check in the morning? Its on an Omex 600 and bodies.

Cant wait to get it back on the road, it will be having the final couple of parts it needs soon.

j_turnell

Maybe it wasn't syncing up as it was turning over slowly. I'd take the plugs out and burn them off, crank it over with the injectors disconnected to get rid of any fuel in the cylinders and then try and fire it up.

Tom_Gallington06

Ok I will give it a try in the morning and hope it was just flooded. It was turning over plenty fast enough to fire and I got the odd back fire.

Cheers for the help :-)

Edited by Tom_Gallington06

Reebmit

Interesting thread Tom, such bad luck in the early days! Really liking your current car, getting it ready for the summer a good move ;)

Tom_Gallington06

Interesting thread Tom, such bad luck in the early days! Really liking your current car, getting it ready for the summer a good move ;)

Thanks pal. Yes well I took it of the road as I thought the weather was going to be the usual rubbish and it's actually been dry most days.

A couple of upgrades in the pipeline for the summer so should be a reasonably good fast road/track car. :-)

Now keeping my eyes open for a shell for my turbo lump to.

• Like 1

Reebmit

Ha always the way, I always have that dilemma and always get it wrong :)

Be good when you go the boosted route! Will you keep them both?

Tom_Gallington06

Ha always the way, I always have that dilemma and always get it wrong :)

Be good when you go the boosted route! Will you keep them both?

Yeah I can't wait but don't want to rush it. I have an engine ready. Just want to do a ground up build with it. And I will definitely be keeping both. :-)

Tom_Gallington06

After a few days I have managed to get the car started. I ended up reducing the fueling on the cold start cranking map. And for some reason it wouldn't run on my iridium plugs. So I have replaced the plugs with some NGK-R ones and it runs a dream.

So off for its MOT Wednesday and then exhaust time hopefully.

And then hopefully I can have a chat with 3J driveline at the Autosport show at the NEC on Thursday and convince them to do me an awesome show discount. :-)

Can't wait to get out and about in it when it's sunny.

• Like 1

Tom_Gallington06

So a bit of an update even though not a lot has happened.

I've bought myself a welder so I can do some tidying up and maybe make myself an exhaust as I fancy having a play.

Diff is on hold for now as I'm saving for a mortgage so the 205 is on a strict budget at the moment.

Manages to get it insured for £329 which I was very please with and it went through its MOT with some minor tweets.

Exhaust parts have been ordered so just waiting for delivery. This should hopefully unleash a few top end bhp.

I will post some pictures of the exhaust progress next week.

rallyeash

I've just made an exhaust, check out my type R thread

• Like 1